Start VM on boot

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
GiantGerman

Start VM on boot

Post by GiantGerman »

I've been running around all over Google trying to find a solution that works. I need your help.

Lets start off with this.

I'm running Debian 7 64bit, and i have 1 VM that i need to start up headless when the system starts.

How do i do this?
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Start VM on boot

Post by Perryg »

GiantGerman

Post by GiantGerman »

I followed that in junction with a post i found from an Unbuntu post. I cant post the link because forum rules. The autostart service runs the VM when the command is sent through terminal, but doesnt start when the system reboots.

What did i miss?
GiantGerman

Post by GiantGerman »

I managed to find an alternative to start on boot. Which is creating a desktop shortcut of the VM, taking the launch command and adding to the startup settings. When i do that i keep getting this
Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver (vboxdrv) is either not loaded or there is a permission problem with /dev/vboxdrv. Please reinstall the kernel module by executing

'/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup'

as root. If it is available in your distribution, you should install the DKMS package first. This package keeps track of Linux kernel changes and recompiles the vboxdrv kernel module if necessary.
And i do as it says, and VB works fine. But when i reboot the system, i get the error again when i just open VB. Not the VM. Its like it doesnt take full affect after i reinstall the kernel. I reinstalled VB and i still get the same error.
GiantGerman

Post by GiantGerman »

I figured it out. I needed to load modules on boot to get my VM to start on boot.

Problem solved.