How to backup and recover VMs on Ubuntu 14.04

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
CFS

How to backup and recover VMs on Ubuntu 14.04

Post by CFS »

I am currently running virtual box 4.3.20 on Ubuntu 14.04. I have a win7 VM that I had built to run dreamweaver. Unfortunately, an Adobe update ruined adobe prelude and I was unable to reinstall just that program. I did not have a windows restore point set for the date I needed. I had previously run a backup of my home folder (including Virtualbox VMs folder) to an external HD formatted in NTFS using lucky backup. The backup should have the data that I need (website work and other data). I tried copying the backup win7 vm folder over to my machine but was unable to start the machine (VD: error VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND opening image file '/home/kevin/Virtualbox VMs/win7 64bit.vdi' (VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND).

Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: Medium
Interface: IMedium {05f2bbb6-a3a6-4fb9-9b49-6d0dda7142ac}

I believe I was able to do this with an older version, but I am not 100% sure. Can anyone help?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: How to backup and recover VMs on Ubuntu 14.04

Post by mpack »

Well, the error message could hardly be clearer - find that "Win7 64bit.vdi" and place it in the folder indicated by the error message. If you don't have a backup of that file then the VM is toast.

IME, it is quite common for backup tools to skip very large files. I prefer to back up my important files and folders explicitly.
CFS

Post by CFS »

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately the vdi that the virtualbox error message is referring to is not the backup VDI that I need access to. The error message occurs when I try and access the backup VDI which is on an external hard drive.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

You didn't interpret my message correctly. I meant that you should get the VDI from your backup, and place it in the folder indicated by the error message.
CFS

Post by CFS »

Thanks for your reply mpack. That is exactly what I did and that is exactly what caused the error message.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

You can't get a "file not found" error if the file is found.

Show me a listing of that directory?
CFS

Post by CFS »

I'm not one to play ring around the rosie. I'm looking for help from a programmer or someone who knows how to fix it.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

CFS wrote:I'm not one to play ring around the rosie. I'm looking for help from a programmer or someone who knows how to fix it.
mpack has helped thousands of users fix their problems. He also wrote a very useful utility used with VirtualBox called CloneVDI. Although with a reply like yours I doubt he will be eager to help you now.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
CFS

Post by CFS »

I figured it out. For those who want to know, this is what I did to recover my backed up VM. In Virtualbox manager, I deleted the old vm machine. I also deleted the VM's corresponding folder in VirtualBox VMs folder. I then copied the backup VM folder from external hard drive to VirtualBox VMs folder. Next, in Virtualbox manager, I clicked on machine then add (instead of clicking on new and trying to add existing VDI). I then browsed to the location were I pasted the backup folder.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

That's certainly one way. Had you just copied the backup .vdi into the VM folder and replaced the one that was already there as mpack explained you wouldn't have had to "figure it out" or delete anything or add anything. Or for that matter just replace the VM folder with the backup. :roll:
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.