4.3.28 -4.3.30 windows guest hangs on reboot

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
microking

4.3.28 -4.3.30 windows guest hangs on reboot

Post by microking »

Hi I have a few server running at different locations , some of them using 4.3.28 and some using 4.3.30 , and som eolder versions I wont list them all, But I do have a repetitive problem with the following scenario

guests are running headless, after a day or 5 the the guest stops responding, we then try to use xrdp to get a gui, then we open virtualbox, but as soon as you click on it , it just hangs, the only thing we have managed to do after this is a complete reboot of the host ( Ubuntu serevr 14.04 ) guest is in this case server 2003.
Attachments
VBox.log
there are 4 log files , I don't know which one is the one to upload.
(60.78 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: 4.3.28 -4.3.30 windows guest hangs on reboot

Post by mpack »

I have deleted the three redundant logs you provided.

VirtualBox keeps the log of the last four run sessions of the VM. VBox.log is the newest. VBox.log.1 is from the session before. ".2" is from the session before that. Etc.

We only need one log, from one session that exhibits the problem you want to discuss. Make sure that session is completed (VM is shut down) before grabbing the log of that session.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I see you have selected the "Windows 2003 (64bit)" template. Are you sure about that? Win2003 is the server edition of XP. XP-64bit never really took off because hardware drivers for it were scarce, and of course the market was small (few PCs had more than 4GB RAM).

The VBox.log you provided appears to be incomplete, or not relevant. I see the initial (successful) boot, I see that it ran for about 100 minutes, and then the log ends. No sign of a reboot.

You need to do your test again, produce the hang, and then close the VM in order for the log to be closed. Then you can grab it (VBox.log), and attach it here.

On an additional note: it's better if you compress (e.g. zip) logs before attaching them.
 Edit:  Re-reading your post... is the topic title misleading? The text appears to say that a host reboot is needed to unfreeze the guest, which is far from saying that the guest freezes on a reboot as the topic title says. 
microking

Post by microking »

Hi the server is x64, I have attached a screenshot

The Linux host doesn't freeze , The guest stops responding, when we try to look at virtualbox using the GUI , it's also frozen, I can get screenshots if you like.

How can I perform a clean shutdown from a frozen guest and frozen virtualbox interface ? , this is happening to me across several different versions, and several different configurations;

For the title , I think its correct, this morning I had a scheduled guest reboot programed for 6am, but it never came backup; I will try and fine some more useful logs from the other servers.
Attachments
version.7z
(22.82 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Does the VM not respond when you send it a close command?

Code: Select all

VBoxManage controlvm <vm> poweroff
That at least would complete the log.

When you run the GUI, you are doing it locally, i.e. not over the network?
microking

Post by microking »

I will try that command out next time it happens, sure enough all of the machines are fine this morning

When we use the GUI its almost always using xrdp over the network.
microking

Post by microking »

Hi so here I have the same machine that hung , ( i think during the scheduled reboot ) but thanks to that command you gave me I could shut it down and get the log, any help pin pointing what happens would be very appreciated.
Attachments
VBox.7z
(17.97 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Well actually, the fact that it responded to the close command proves that the VM process on the host had not hung. If you have a problem with the guest OS then the VM log will not reveal it.

... and indeed I see nothing in the log. It ran for 167 hours until you issued a command to turn it off, which it did. Perhaps what you actually have is a network failure of some kind, due to something being incorrectly renegotiated after a reset. You must want to probe that with Wireshark or something.