[Solved] Change from Ubuntu 14.04 32bit intel to AMD 64bit

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
robbyx
Primary OS: Ubuntu 12.04
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: WinXP

[Solved] Change from Ubuntu 14.04 32bit intel to AMD 64bit

Post by robbyx »

I have bought new equipment and installed the 64AMD versions of Ubuntu 14.04 and Virtualbox. The new version of ubuntu has changed the locations of my media files from media to media/robin. Virtual box keeps looking in the old location for the VDI and VBoxGuestAdditions. I have removed the old entry from the VM VB manager and then added added the machine back in, using the new location. I have downloaded the guest additions and allowed VB to install it, but it is sill looking in the old location for the guest additions.

This is the error message when I open the machine:

The virtual machine execution may run into an error condition as described below. We suggest that you take an appropriate action to avert the error.
The image file '/media/mydocs/VBoxGuestAdditions_4.3.14.iso' is inaccessible and is being ignored. Please select a different image file for the virtual DVD drive..

The reinstallation of the added machine in VB Manager has worked and is being loaded when I click on it but not the guest additions.iso.
How do I force/edit the new machine to look in the new location for the guest additions ie /media/robin/mydocs/.

R
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Change from Ubuntu 14.04 32bit intel to AMD 64bit

Post by mpack »

Re-registering the VM will do nothing, since the VM's .vbox file stores the paths of media the VM uses. You will need to release and remove all media which the VM can't find.

Also, that does not look like the standard path to the GA's ISO. I hope you are using the official (Oracle) VirtualBox, and not the Ubuntu fork - we don't provide support here for forks.
robbyx
Primary OS: Ubuntu 12.04
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: WinXP

Re: Change from Ubuntu 14.04 32bit intel to AMD 64bit

Post by robbyx »

I sorted out the problem. I am using the official version of VB. I no longer had a DVD attached to the machine and VB thought that the ISO was a virtual DVD. I removed it from the settings and the problem went away.

R