Full access to wifi adapter Ubuntu

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
ondrejs

Full access to wifi adapter Ubuntu

Post by ondrejs »

Hi guys

I am using virtualbox on Ubuntu 14.04 and I would like to allow my virtual machine full access to my wireless card.
I am testing different virtual machines and I would like to scan wireless networks or create a hot spot from my virtual machine.
Is it possible, if so then how?

Thaks a lot
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Full access to wifi adapter Ubuntu

Post by mpack »

There is no way to make the hosts wireless NIC visible to the guest. At best you can bridge to the NIC. This is not always reliable due to limitations of wireless, and in any case the guest will see a wired network interface, not wireless.

Please bear in mind that a VM simulates devices using host resources. You do not ever use host resources directly.

The only way a VM can be made to see a wireless NIC is by using a USB wireless dongle - and I don't really recommend that either.
ondrejs

Post by ondrejs »

mpack wrote: The only way a VM can be made to see a wireless NIC is by using a USB wireless dongle - and I don't really recommend that either.
Well, may I ask why you don't recommend USB wireless dongle?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

VMs just aren't very good at controlling physical hardware. That simply isn't in their nature, which is to be independant of hardware. VMs have additional latencies (unavoidable delays) and inefficiencies when can make device drivers operate erratically, if at all.

This is all personal opinion. So, by all means go ahead and try it yourself, you may find that it works great for you.
ondrejs

Post by ondrejs »

Ok, thanks, I will try that :-)