[Solved] Unable to Install Extension Pack

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Taylor

[Solved] Unable to Install Extension Pack

Post by Taylor »

Just to forewarn, while I have plenty of technical experience and am a developer, my technical knowledge on Linux isn't the best (fair amount of experience in AIX, especially with ksh), and I'm new to the VB world.

I have an Asustor NAS (AS5108T) that is running some flavor of Linux (still have yet to figure out which, though) and have VB installed on it. I'm running Windows 7 x64. Asustor has provided the VB app for the NAS, but required the manual installation of the Extension Pack. I am able to get the Extension Pack that matches the version of VB (4.3.20), but I am unable to install. Whether I install through the VB app on the NAS or through SSH as root, I get the same error. I have done some extensive googling over the past 24 hours but haven't figured out how to get past this. I have provided the error output below:

Code: Select all

VBoxManage: error: Failed to install "/volume1/Public/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.3.20-96996.vbox-extpack"
VBoxManage: error: The installer failed with exit code 1: /volume1/.@plugins/AppCentral/virtualbox/bin/VBoxExtPackHelperApp: /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.1.0.0: no version information available (required by /volume1/.@plugins/AppCentral/virtualbox/bin/VBoxRT.so)
VBoxManage: error: /volume1/.@plugins/AppCentral/virtualbox/bin/VBoxExtPackHelperApp: /usr/lib/libssl.so.1.0.0: no version information available (required by /volume1/.@plugins/AppCentral/virtualbox/bin/VBoxRT.so)
VBoxManage: error: VBoxExtPackHelperApp: error: Unable to locate 'pkexec', 'gksu' or 'su+xterm'. Try perform the operation using VBoxManage running as root
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Unable to Install Extension Pack

Post by Perryg »

This will show you the version number of VirtualBox

VBoxManage -v 
This should tell the build of the OS

cat /etc/issue

That said from the looks of it your host is not playing fair with the install and you will need to do it from the CLI with VBoxManage.

Syntax is:

extpack install [--replace] <tarball> |
uninstall [--force] <name> |
cleanup
So

VBoxManage extpack install <tarball> 
replacing <tarball> with the full name of the extension pack.

You may need to be in a root session to get it to work. SU/SUDO normally works but since we don't know what the host really is there is no way to tell.

Don't forget that you also will need the user name added to the vboxusers group and a minimum of a log out and in to activate the new permissions.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Perryg wrote:This will show you the version number of VirtualBox

VBoxManage -v 
Here ya go:

4.3.20_OSEr96996
Perryg wrote: This should tell the build of the OS

cat /etc/issue

Welcome to asustor
Perryg wrote:Syntax is:

extpack install [--replace] <tarball> |
uninstall [--force] <name> |
cleanup
So

VBoxManage extpack install <tarball> 
replacing <tarball> with the full name of the extension pack.
This is exactly what I ran to get the the error provided in the OP. Perhaps should have stated that in the post :) The results from the most recent run attempt as root is below:

[code]VBoxManage: error: VBoxExtPackHelperApp: error: Unable to locate 'pkexec', 'gksu' or 'su+xterm'. Try perform the operation using VBoxManage running as root
VBoxManage: error: Details: code NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005), component ExtPackManager, interface IExtPackManager
VBoxManage: error: Context: "int handleExtPack(HandlerArg*)" at line 1143 of file VBoxManageMisc.cpp
[/code]
Perryg wrote:Don't forget that you also will need the user name added to the vboxusers group and a minimum of a log out and in to activate the new permissions.
Found out the group didn't exist yet, so I created it and added both root and admin to it. Logged back out and back in. Please don't think I'm upset at you...I really appreciate the help...just have no idea what's going with this...
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Taylor wrote:4.3.20_OSEr96996
I believe that this to be the problem. Can you try the official release from the VirtualBox downloads section (https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads)? I couldn't exactly tell what your distribution is or what it is based on.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Root does not need to be in the group but at this point is appears that some host code must be missing. The OSE is a special build by end user that may not include the code needed. Depends on how you compile it. The OS "asustor" is not familiar either so you would need to contact the supplier and see what you or they need to do, or if you have control of the build you could try what socratis says and try installing the official build.

Update note: I did look up asustor and from the looks of it you may not be able to figure this out without their input. Lots of people are none too happy with the OS and issues with permissions and the like.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

So I was able to install the the Extension Pack.

Interestingly enough, I ssh'd as root from my Mac to the NAS that VB was installed upon, but then SU to one of the users on the NAS, who interestingly enough, was not in the vboxuser group. Installing the extension pack as this user did the trick. Interestingly enough, this user has RO rights to only 1 directory on the NAS, whereas before I was attempting to use both admin and root. Who knows....

FYI, the version of VB is provided by Asustor specifically for the ADM software running on the NAS. I did not modify it, so any modification done was by Asustor/Asus
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

so any modification done was by Asustor/Asus
That's what I was getting at and the permission thing you just encountered is what I was reading on the asustor forums so it was accurate. Glad you got it to work in any regards.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Perryg wrote:
so any modification done was by Asustor/Asus
That's what I was getting at and the permission thing you just encountered is what I was reading on the asustor forums so it was accurate. Glad you got it to work in any regards.

Awesome. Thanks for all your help anyways! :D

Now I just have to get VirtualBox to actually recognize USB devices...they don't appear to be showing up in the USB devices list.

...and so another adventure begins!
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Yeah from what I found out the OS is very specific for running a NAS and not as a real stand alone operating system for client/server use. Anyway good luck.