cant start a virtual machine "NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)"

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Shadowtechsystems

cant start a virtual machine "NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)"

Post by Shadowtechsystems »

host os acording to hosting company: ubuntu 14.4 trusty tar xfce with x2go support
ovm info :version 4.3.26 r98988
visualization is on by default according to hosting company(i am going to take a deeper look see if some how it was turned off when another staff member for our server gets up i need 2 staff passwords to get full access to the servers bios and other pre os stuffs)
virtual machine name is ginipig

the errors its giving me is the following

first message up is

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Ginipig.
The virtual machine 'Ginipig' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1).

details tab

Result Code:
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component:
Machine
Interface:
IMachine {480cf695-2d8d-4256-9c7c-cce4184fa048}

second error message up
Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver (vboxdrv) is either not loaded or there is a permission problem with /dev/vboxdrv. Please reinstall the kernel module by executing

'/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup'

as root. If it is available in your distribution, you should install the DKMS package first. This package keeps track of Linux kernel changes and recompiles the vboxdrv kernel module if necessary.

logs = not applicable does not get far enough to make a log

this is ocuring on a clean install i have tryed what the error message suggest console says it does not exsist (the file its looking to open exsists but not with the setup at the end

install methid

**OVM site here*****/wiki/Linux_Downloads

clicked trusty's link opens application manager(atleast thats what i call it) installed then ran
wget -q ******OVM site here********/download/oracle_vbox.asc
sudo apt-key add oracle-vbox.asc
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install virtualbox-4.3
sudo apt-get install dkms

some of this came back with updates rather then install mainly "sudo apt-get install virtualbox-4.3"

this is all the unique information i have on the issue this is my first time running OVM on ubuntu i usualy use manjaro and to add to just how experenced with OVM i am my personal computer is host manjaro running both mac and windows os each to their own desktop at startup and its been working just fine only on the server am i having any issues i have been running manmacdows(as i call it) for the better part of a year now
Shadowtechsystems

Re: cant start a virtual machine "NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x800040

Post by Shadowtechsystems »

Bump

Someone please help
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: cant start a virtual machine "NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x800040

Post by socratis »

I'm not an expert by any means, but I have two observations:
  1. Did you ever run '/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup' as instructed? It is not clear from your description. If you did, what was the output/error messages? Exactly please...
  2. In the online directions it talks about DKMS after you've already installed VirtualBox. I say it talks, not that it directs you to install DKMS after VirtualBox. On the other hand, in the user manual, as well as your own description:
    If it is available in your distribution, you should install the DKMS package first.
    But, again according to your steps, you installed DKMS after you installed VirtualBox. So, could you uninstall VirtualBox, install DKMS and then install VBox again?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.