[Fixed] Virtualbox Hangs at 0% Starting Virtual Machine

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Squall2131

[Fixed] Virtualbox Hangs at 0% Starting Virtual Machine

Post by Squall2131 »

I got a new laptop for work and am trying to transition my work files over to the new laptop. Got everything set up with Mint 17.1, kernel 3.16.0-30-generic, and virtualbox 4.3.20 r96996 but it won't boot any VM's, not even a VM with no hard drive, and just booting from a virtualized 'Ubuntu live' ISO, it hangs at 0%

I've also already added my user to the vboxusers group

Here's what I know:

Old laptop is Dell Vostro 3550 i5-2430M with Mint 17.1, kernel 3.16.0-30-generic installed and Virtualbox works great.

New laptop is Dell Latitude e7450 broadwell i5-5300U CPU, it came with windows 7, I install virtualbox in Windows 7 and it will boot a ubuntu live cd in a VM. I partitioned the disk and dual booted an install Mint 17.1, install virtualbox in Mint 17.1, and it won't boot any VM's or live cd's in a VM.
I'm running the same kernel on both laptops with same operating system version, and same versions of virtualbox, no luck. To be clear, i've even tried creating a new virtual machine with no virtual disk, and just have it boot an ubuntu live cd .iso file from a virtual cd drive, and it still won't boot.

I tried installing an older kernel and headers, and running
/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
to see if maybe the kernel was too new for virtualbox to configure and use correctly for the guest, but it still won't work.

The symptom is this: it will say "0% Starting Virtual machine" for maybe a minute or 2, then another window will come up saying 20%, but it will stay like that forever. I've left it run for 20 minutes and it doesn't do anything.

If anyone has any suggestions or troubleshooting advice, it would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!
Last edited by socratis on 14. May 2018, 23:31, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Marked as [Fixed].
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Re: Virtualbox Hangs at 0% Starting Virtual Machine

Post by loukingjr »

Did you add yourself to the vboxusers group in Mint?
If not, run

Code: Select all

sudo adduser username vboxusers
replace username with your login name then reboot Mint.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
Squall2131

Post by Squall2131 »

Yes, sorry i should have mentioned that i already added my user to the vboxusers group
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Post the guests log file ( as an attachment )
Squall2131

Post by Squall2131 »

Here's the latest 4 log files, Thanks!
Attachments
Logs.tar.gz
(17 KiB) Downloaded 98 times
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

It never actually gets to the boot sequence according to the log files. It seems to stop at VT-x/AMD-v tests. Is hardware virtualization enabled in the hosts bios?
Also what if any settings do you change from the defaults when you create the guest?
Squall2131

Post by Squall2131 »

I have VT-x/AMD-V options enabled in both the bios and virtualbox, that's why this is so weird: I can boot VM's in the Windows 7 partition, but when I boot to Mint partition it doesn't work.

Here's how i created my test VM:

I created a new virtual machine to boot a Ubuntu Live CD. When creating I selected "do not create virtual hard disk" since i'll just be booting from a live ISO to test. I then went to "storage" and under IDE controller, added the ISO image as a virtual disk and checked "Live CD/DVD". Virtualbox also fails in the same way trying to boot other Virtual Machine's I've been using for work that are "proper" virtual machines with a virtualized disk, and a full OS installed. I also wanted to add I have a 64bit version of Mint installed, with a 64bit ISO i'm trying to boot.

I've attached another Log file for this newly created test VM as well as screenshots for the settings in my VM.
Attachments
Screenshots_and_logfile.tar.gz
(465.25 KiB) Downloaded 89 times
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Are you actually using Vagrant?
Squall2131

Post by Squall2131 »

Sorry if that last screenshot was confusing, I was trying to show how Virtualbox Hangs, but didn't take an updated screenshot. Yes previous machines I was trying to use vagrant, but through the process of trying to eliminate problems, I've reverted to just trying to get 1 machine booting with a ubuntu live ISO, through the virtualbox interface. I just removed vagrant from my machine and the VM still hangs in the same way.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Post the /var/log/vbox-install.log for the host.

Also from the hosts terminal post the results of the following

cat /proc/cpuinfo
Squall2131

Post by Squall2131 »

I've attached the vbox-isntall.log file and here's the output of cat /proc/cpuinfo

processor	: 0
vendor_id	: GenuineIntel
cpu family	: 6
model		: 61
model name	: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5300U CPU @ 2.30GHz
stepping	: 4
microcode	: 0x11
cpu MHz		: 2300.000
cache size	: 3072 KB
physical id	: 0
siblings	: 4
core id		: 0
cpu cores	: 2
apicid		: 0
initial apicid	: 0
fpu		: yes
fpu_exception	: yes
cpuid level	: 20
wp		: yes
flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf eagerfpu pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 fma cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic movbe popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm abm 3dnowprefetch ida arat epb xsaveopt pln pts dtherm tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid fsgsbase tsc_adjust bmi1 hle avx2 smep bmi2 erms invpcid rtm rdseed adx smap
bogomips	: 4589.80
clflush size	: 64
cache_alignment	: 64
address sizes	: 39 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management:

processor	: 1
cpu MHz		: 2549.406
core id		: 1
apicid		: 2
initial apicid	: 2
flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf eagerfpu pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 fma cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic movbe popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm abm 3dnowprefetch ida arat epb xsaveopt pln pts dtherm tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid fsgsbase tsc_adjust bmi1 hle avx2 smep bmi2 erms invpcid rtm rdseed adx smap
power management:

processor	: 2
cpu MHz		: 2367.382
core id		: 0
apicid		: 1
initial apicid	: 1
power management:

processor	: 3
cpu MHz		: 2408.621
core id		: 1
apicid		: 3
initial apicid	: 3
power management:
Attachments
vbox-install.log
(2.71 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

I am at a loss. Without actually touching this machine I can't think of what it could be that is causing it. I know Vagrant messes with the file structure and uses special scripts which is why I asked if you were using it. I guess since you have removed it they should not affect the way VBox works now but I can not prove that since I have never used it.

All I can tell you is if it were mine I would re-install the host and leave it pristine and see if that helps.
Squall2131

Post by Squall2131 »

This is a brand new model by Dell, I literally bought it the day they released it on their site... I'm wondering if there's some sort of hardware or instruction change for the hardware virtualization that Windows 7 can pick up and work with, but the Linux kernel can't?

A little back story, the old computer i'm currently using, I installed Mint 17 on it and was using it for a while until Mint 17.1 came out, then did apt-get dist-upgrade to Mint 17.1, where as the new machine I installed Mint 17.1 directly... So just for the hell of it, I just reformatted my new laptop's hard drive, installed Mint 17 (not 17.1), didn't do ANYTHING but

sudo apt-get install virtualbox-4.3
sudo apt-get install virtualbox-guest-dkms
sudo adduser (myuser) vboxuser
restart

same result, Virtualbox just sits there hanging at 0%

I guess I'll try with a different distro like Fedora for the host machine, and see if that works.

Do you think it would be worth creating an issue ticket on the virtualbox bug tracker, or is this not a bug, just a configuration problem between the host machine, kernel, hardware, etc?
frank
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: Debian Sid
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Post by frank »

Please add the option nosmap to the kernel parameters of the host kernel. I guess it's that same problem as ticket 13820. The reason for the hang is that the SMAP feature prevents kernel code from reading/writing user-level code. VirtualBox depends on these accesses and needs to be adapted. That is some effort but we will try to fix this soon.
Paul Abrahams

Similar problem in Kubuntu 14.10

Post by Paul Abrahams »

I''m running VirtualBox 4.3.28 under Kubuntu 14.10 on an Acer Aspire E1-731-4699 with a quad-core Pentium processor, and I've encountered the same problem. The installed virtual machine works fine, and I can even clone it successfully using the Clone command of the VirtualBox Manager. (The clone also runs without a problem.) The beginning of the install log looks a little weird to me, though, particularly since I have gcc installed:

make KBUILD_VERBOSE=1 SUBDIRS=/tmp/vbox.0 SRCROOT=/tmp/vbox.0 CONFIG_MODULE_SIG= -C /lib/modules/3.16.0-38-generic/build modules
arch/x86/Makefile:121: stack-protector enabled but compiler support broken
arch/x86/Makefile:136: CONFIG_X86_X32 enabled but no binutils support
Makefile:652: Cannot use CONFIG_CC_STACKPROTECTOR_REGULAR: -fstack-protector not supported by compiler
make[1]: gcc: Command not found
test -e include/generated/autoconf.h -a -e include/config/auto.conf || (                \
echo >&2;                                                       \
echo >&2 "  ERROR: Kernel configuration is invalid.";           \
echo >&2 "         include/generated/autoconf.h or include/config/auto.conf are missing.";\
echo >&2 "         Run 'make oldconfig && make prepare' on kernel src to fix it.";      \
echo >&2 ;                                                      \
/bin/false)
mkdir -p /tmp/vbox.0/.tmp_versions ; rm -f /tmp/vbox.0/.tmp_versions/*
The problem comes when I try to use the command vboxmanage clonevm. The cloning process hangs at 0% with about 4 progress dots and the machine state seems to have been corrupted. One other wrinkle: I'm creating the new VM on a Synology Network Attached Storage device. The specific command I used was

vboxmanage clonevm "Windows 7 Ultimate" --name "Windows 7 Ultimate A" --basefolder /mnt/Synology/Virtual\ Machines/ --register
I have a very difficult tiime getting rid of the unusable VM that this command created, and I had to reboot to clean up the mess.