Covert VB Win 7 Guest

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
UnknownUser404

Covert VB Win 7 Guest

Post by UnknownUser404 »

So here is the scenario...

I work as a remote technical support agent for a national service provider at home.
The company demands I use Microsoft Windows.
The company demands I NOT use a virtual machine.
The company installs tons of tools and vpn adapters etc..

I'm a linux user, a privacy and security advocate, and one who considers Windows itself to be malware..

My question is.. Would there be any valid reason as to why I shouldn't use a virtual machine to keep the windows virus isolated from my real os..
And if not.. are there anyways that I can totally remove all traces of the fact that i'm using a vb guest and have it look just like any other windows 7 install..

I've seen several places.. In the device manager for example it lists VB devices.. on the task bar there is the additions icon etc..

Anyone have any feedback?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Covert VB Win 7 Guest

Post by socratis »

UnknownUser404 wrote:Would there be any valid reason as to why I shouldn't use a virtual machine to keep the windows virus isolated from my real os.
Not in my book, no. But, I'm not the one that pays your salary.
UnknownUser404 wrote:are there anyways that I can totally remove all traces of the fact that i'm using a vb guest
It depends. If the owner installs tools that have been written with a virtual machine in mind, usually you can't. Long story short, if they are determined to find out if you're running a VM, they will.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.