Fedora VM on a Fedora Machine

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
DrTaylor

Fedora VM on a Fedora Machine

Post by DrTaylor »

Hello. I am trying to set up a virtual machine on my Fedora computer, but when I try to start the VM, I get an error that says "The Virtualbox kernel driver (vboxdrv) is either not loaded or there is a permission problem with /dev/vboxdrv. Please reinstall the kernel module by executing '/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup'.

However, when I try to execute, I get an error that says failed. It says it logged the reason but when I try to check the indicated log file, it doesn't exist.

Any resolutions coming to mind? I tried to install on my Windows laptop already and it simply stopped installation and said it had a fatal error during installation, so I swtiched to my Linux box.
DrTaylor

Re: Fedora VM on a Fedora Machine

Post by DrTaylor »

I found one forum where someone had resolved this by installing with yum (even though I cannot fathom what difference that would make), but that did not solve my issue.
DrTaylor

Post by DrTaylor »

A little more data.

When it fails to do the /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup, I did pull up the log file it tells me to look in for the errors.

[root@localhost ~]# cat /var/log/vbox-install.log
Makefile:183: *** Error: unable to find the sources of your current Linux kernel. Specify KERN_DIR=<directory> and run Make again. Stop.
Makefile:183: *** Error: unable to find the sources of your current Linux kernel. Specify KERN_DIR=<directory> and run Make again. Stop.

Would this be resolved, does anyone think, by reinserting my Fedora DVD? (I plan to try it.)
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

No it wouldn't. The indications are missing headers and devel packages that match your running kernel.
HARI002244

Post by HARI002244 »

Can anyone tell which linux headers are the VM 5.0.10 looking? i have 4.0.0. but the damn thing is failing to find sources and it keeps saying unable to find linux headers
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

HARI002244 wrote:Can anyone tell which linux headers are the VM 5.0.10 looking? i have 4.0.0. but the damn thing is failing to find sources and it keeps saying unable to find linux headers
It is looking for the headers that match your running kernel. You need to install them from the distro update.

The actual command varies between distros so without knowing that it would be impossible to tell you exactly how, but Fedora uses yum or dnf if it is new enough and the packages to install are listed below.
  • dkms binutils gcc make patch libgomp glibc-headers glibc-devel kernel-headers kernel-devel
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

I believe the command for Fedora 22 and 23 is…

Code: Select all

dnf install gcc kernel-devel kernel-headers dkms make bzip2 perl
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.