4.3.18 Flickers and glitches when aero in windows 7 guest

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
heavymx

4.3.18 Flickers and glitches when aero in windows 7 guest

Post by heavymx »

My set-up:
MB: Asus m2n-sli deluxe
CPU: Phenom II x4 955 - 3.2Ghz
GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTS 250
RAM: 8GB

since version 4.3.16, when aero is turned on in windows 7 GUEST (x32), there are many glitches, flashes, flickers and white boxes when you pass the mouse over the icons on the taskbar or start menu, also on top and edges of the windows (eg: close Window symbol), etc.

I had to install backwards 4.3.14 and everything returned to normal.

Also in Windows 8.1 x32 guest, although it doesn't drive aero, happen similar things!

I haven't tasted it in x64 guests.

When 4.3.18 version was released, I thought the problem would be fixed, but it wasn't

Any workaround?

Thank you
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: 4.3.18 Flickers and glitches when aero in windows 7 gues

Post by mpack »

Well, first thing I would try is updating your host's graphics (OpenGL) drivers.
Eck

Post by Eck »

This is related to that l-o-n-g one paragraph bug report about full screen not useable after 4.3.14. The bug poster was instructed to try reporting one bug at a time in the future and politely not condemed for unending run on sentences and having no idea how to compose a paragraph. :)

Thankfully I use Linux as my host so I can still run 4.3.14 fine, but I sure hope all those other problems are being looked into regardless of how the guy typed up his report.

My Windows 8.1 guest, which I run in full screen, suffers from the problems in that bug report and the OP of this thread on anything newer than 4.3.14.

Does anyone know if these issues are what are addressed in the 4.3.19 test build on the test builds download page? I don't want to bother installing a run file outside the package manager with it not being known if the ext pack and guest additions from the previous release will work with it if it doesn't fix these display issues.
dccrens

Post by dccrens »

I'm running Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS as a host and Virtualbox 4.3.14 r95030. I am using Windows 6 Ultimate as a guest with Aero turned on and Extension_Pack installed. I have two Nvidia 550 graphics card, i7 3930x, and 32gb ram. Everything works great. No issues. However, if I upgrade to the latest release of VIrtualbox and the Extension Pack, I get the same type of flickering in the guest. I have upgraded and have all the latest drivers, etc. There is definitely some sort of bug in 4.3.18. I have tried several different installs and configurations and same thing happens. Each time I can downgrade back to 4.3.14 and all is well.
heavymx

Post by heavymx »

mpack wrote:Well, first thing I would try is updating your host's graphics (OpenGL) drivers.
I don't really think that it could be a matter of host graphics drivers .. because everything but Vbox work great!, today I downloaded the VirtualBox-4.3.19-96825-Linux_amd64, and things got better, but still there are glitches when you pass the mouse over the close, minimize and expand icons in a window. and some flickers when surrounding the window. the problem decreased a lot, but it's still there.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

heavymx wrote:I don't really think that it could be a matter of host graphics drivers
The point was to eliminate possibilities: facts trump opinions and feelings.
mooninite
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: OSE Fedora
Guest OSses: RHEL, SuSE, SCO OpenServer, Windows XP

Post by mooninite »

This issue is still present in 4.3.20. Has anyone opened a bug report for it? I have not found one.
mooninite

Post by mooninite »

I've opened a bug report.

https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/13653
BartonC
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 7 Pro Raw disk partion access

Post by BartonC »

mooninite wrote:I've opened a bug report.

https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/13653
Where you'll find that I've diagnosed this as an nVidia-related issue by removing nVidia from my sytem.
mooninite

Post by mooninite »

BartonC wrote: Where you'll find that I've diagnosed this as an nVidia issue by removing nVidia from my sytem.
That doesn't necessarily mean the problem is in the NVIDIA binary driver.

I've created a thread on the NVIDIA forum.

https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topi ... d-support/
BartonC

4.3.16 -> 20 Flickers and glitches when aero in windows 7 gu

Post by BartonC »

mooninite wrote: That doesn't necessarily mean the problem is in the NVIDIA binary driver.
I thinks that it's clear that this has nothing to do with nVidia driver as reverting VirtualBox front end resolves the issue over many iterations of nVidia updates.
In my post on the bug report I suggest that anyone with this issue that has proprietary nVidia drivers currently installed try switching to nouveau drivers.
Doing so will shed light on that question. Native Intel graphics work fine for me so I'm not going to reinstall the nVidia card, but if I had an nVidia-based mobo this would be first plan of attack.
Last edited by BartonC on 26. Dec 2014, 23:05, edited 2 times in total.
BartonC

Post by BartonC »

mpack wrote:
heavymx wrote:I don't really think that it could be a matter of host graphics drivers
Yes, all evidence seems to indicate that that VB no longer plays nicely with nVidia (kernel taint) drivers.
I've been tracking this issue from day-one. The issue began with VB update, not the video driver update.
Please see Ticket #13653
heavymx

Post by heavymx »

mpack wrote:
Well I updated the drivers from NVIDIA (the latest 340.65 for linux) in the host and things are the same. flickers, flashes and glitches when hover the mouse over icons or any kind of object in graphics, .. but the curious thing, is that in W7 only happens with aero turned on, if aero is turned off, everything goes normal .. but in W8.1 it happens all the time. I really don't think that it is an nvidia issue, because the issue started when upgraded to 4.3.16, not fixed in 4.3.18 and still not fixed in 4.3.20.

Important: it was tested windowed (not full screen)

I read en some post above that it works with nouveau .. Ill try.

Update Dec. 29 2014 night:::: I uninstalled (purge) the nvidia drivers (in the host), and installed the nouveau drivers, ...
and there were no more glitches in the graphics in guests, but the guest crashes a lot, and even ones froze the host.
BartonC

Post by BartonC »

heavymx wrote:I read en some post above that it works with nouveau .. Ill try.
Actually, I said that trying this first is a good idea. I don't know if this works, but it's a good bet that it will and a great next-step in isolating the issue.
dccrens

Post by dccrens »

As stated previously, I am running Ubuntu 12.10 64bit with 2 NVIDIA 560 cards. I have the very latest NVIDIA drivers. I am running Virtualbox 4.3.14 r95030. Also installed is matching guest additions and the matching Extension Pack. I have Windows 7 Ultimate installed and patched up to date. Everything works great with this configuration. However, If I update VB to any other newer (4.3.20-96996~Ubuntu~precise) version I get the flashing as my mouse passes over windows or icons in the Windows 7 guest. This makes it unusable. Seems like since VB (and its components) are the only changes then it must be VB. If I remove 4.3.20-96996~Ubuntu~precise and reinstall 4.3.14-95030~Ubuntu~precise, everything goes right back to working. So, until this is fixed, I guess I will not be upgrading...