CrashPlan on Win7 Guest

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
mbressman
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: WinXP

CrashPlan on Win7 Guest

Post by mbressman »

I have two Ubuntu 12.04 servers ("A" and "B") that I have VirtualBox installed on (they are in separate physical locations on separate network - not on the same LAN). There are Win7 guests running on each VirtualBox on each server (so "A-Win7" and "B-Win7"). I have CrashPlan installed on both Ubuntu servers (backing up to their cloud) and also on both Win7 guest installs (which should backup to the other Ubuntu server, so A-Win7 -> B and B-Win7 -> A). The CrashPlan backups from the Ubuntu servers themselves to CrashPlan's cloud work fine. The CrashPlan backups from the guest OS's to the other Ubuntu server do not work - the destinations appear offline. Weirdly enough, destinations of other computers within the CrashPlan account that are on the same LAN show up as online. I think this might be some issue with NAT, so I was going to try and change the network to bridged. I use phpvirtualbox to manage the VM's via web interface, and when I went in to do that, I got this error message:

Code: Select all

VirtualBox error: rc=0x80004005 Empty or null bridged interface name is not valid (0x80004005)
Any ideas what might be causing the CrashPlan installs on the VM's to not get to the other Ubuntu server, and also why I can't change the network to bridged?

Thanks!
mbressman
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: WinXP

Re: CrashPlan on Win7 Guest

Post by mbressman »

I figured out why I was getting that error - I had to tell it to use eth0 in the drop-down box right below where I selected bridged adapter. My bad!

So is there any downside to using the VM in bridged mode instead of NAT mode if it fixes the CrashPlan issue? Thanks!