Accidentally Deleted Linked Base

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
jnuey

Accidentally Deleted Linked Base

Post by jnuey »

Hey guys,

I tried to make a linked clone of a rather important VM recently. Being new to linked clones I didn't really know what I was getting myself into and accidentally deleted the linked base and left the clone behind after I received an error saying the original clone failed. I'm hoping there is some way I can recover it, and help is greatly appreciated.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Accidentally Deleted Linked Base

Post by mpack »

If you don't have a backup of the base VDI from the base VM then no, there is no way to recover your linked VMs.

I never use differential storage schemes of any sort: no snapshots or linked clones. If you want to be as safe as possible then make sure you always fully shut down your VMs at the end of the day - never suspend.
jnuey

Post by jnuey »

It wasn't a storage scheme I just wanted to clone a Windows 7 VM so I could try a Windows 8.1 upgrade. I still have the close, but I accidentally deleted the base. The clone works but seems to be much slower.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

That makes no sense at all. A linked clone can't run without the original VM. It wouldn't run at all - VBox wouldn't even start it. Something you've told me doesn't wash.

Whatever, if the VM runs then you can try cloning it (current state only, don't reset MAC address).

I'm not sure what you're saying about not wanting a storage scheme - all PCs (which includes all PC VMs) require storage. And you are kind of expected to know your own storage requirements.