USB Device Not Recognized

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
baj
Primary OS: Other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: WXP SP3, Win98

USB Device Not Recognized

Post by baj »

Greetings,

I'm having problems with a new laptop, Linux Mint v17 with Virtualbox v4.3.10. I have installed the extension pack and imported my working VMs (.ova) from my old system (similar laptop with Mint v13 and Vbox v4.1.12). All VMs load and run fine, networking and folder shares work great. I just can't get any USB devices connected to the guest systems (mem sticks, USB HDD - USB2 and USB3, and a USB-to-serial adapter). The USB devices work fine in Linux, they show up correctly in the device list in the Vbox menu under USB devices, but when I select them I get a "USB Device Not Recognized" error in the VMs (various Win7 and WinXP VMs). I re-installed GA in all VMs as well, assuming that was necessary since the version of Vbox changed between the two computers.

For reference, all of the above listed devices work great in the same VMs on the Mint 13 system.

Below is a listing of the packages I have installed on Mint 17

Code: Select all

$ apt-show-versions
virtualbox:amd64/trusty 4.3.10-dfsg-1 uptodate
virtualbox-dkms:all/trusty 4.3.10-dfsg-1 uptodate
virtualbox-guest-additions-iso:all/trusty 4.3.10-1 uptodate
virtualbox-guest-dkms:all/trusty 4.3.10-dfsg-1 uptodate
virtualbox-guest-utils:amd64/trusty 4.3.10-dfsg-1 uptodate
virtualbox-guest-x11:amd64/trusty 4.3.10-dfsg-1 uptodate
virtualbox-qt:amd64/trusty 4.3.10-dfsg-1 uptodate
I've done a fair amount of searching on forums, tried a few things (should have kept a list), even removed and reinstalled all Vbox packages, but no luck so far.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
-Brad
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: USB Device Not Recognized

Post by Perryg »

It looks like you have installed the Debian fork from the Debian repo which is not supported here. You would need to have the official build from VirtualBox.org for us to really help.

That said I see no mention of you adding your user name to the vboxusers group. ( requires a minimum of a log off and on for permissions to take effect ).
baj
Primary OS: Other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: WXP SP3, Win98

Post by baj »

Thanks, I had already added my user to the vboxusers group, actually had to create the group first. Thanks for the reply, I'll try the Mint forum.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

actually had to create the group first.
That's never a good sign. This group gets created on install with the full version.