Virtualbox on Linux via Chromebook

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
kmart28jets

Virtualbox on Linux via Chromebook

Post by kmart28jets »

Hello everyone,

I'm somewhat new to all of this and for a project I need to set up a virtual machine using Ubuntu. Unfortunately, my Dell running windows crapped out so I have a Chromebook that I'm trying to work on. I installed Linux using Crouton on my chromebook and downloaded virtualbox without a problem. I also downloaded the Ubuntu software without a hitch. However when I went to run the virtual machine the following error message popped up:

"Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver (vboxdrv) is either not loaded or there is a permission problem with /dev/vboxdrv. Please reinstall the kernel module by executing:

'/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup'

as root. If it is available in your distribution, you should install the DKMS package first. This package keeps track of Linux kernel changes and recompiles the vboxdrv kernel module if necessary."

My professor told me to run the prompt in the terminal but I got an error message. Does anyone have an idea of what I can do to fix this problem and properly run the virtual machine?

I greatly appreciate it.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Virtualbox on Linux via Chromebook

Post by Perryg »

Not without the explicit error message.

That said I can take an educated guess and say it is due to missing header files and other packages that allow you to build external kernel modules.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Re: Virtualbox on Linux via Chromebook

Post by loukingjr »

Perryg is correct. Crouton "tricks" Ubuntu into using the ChromeOS kernel. There are no headers or source files for it. There are some Chromebooks which come with the SeaBIOS which does allow you to install Ubuntu, (and most any Linux flavor), but you would be wiping out the ChromeOS install.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.