clonehd returns errors.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Couch_Potato
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 7

clonehd returns errors.

Post by Couch_Potato »

Hi,

New here, I just spent some time here searching for a resolution to the problem I am experiencing below:

Code: Select all

~ $ vboxmanage clonehd /mnt/Raid1/Downloads/VMz/Win7Pro/Win7ProDisk.vdi /mnt/Raid1/Downloads/VMz/Win7Pro/Win7PDynDisk.vdi --format VDI --variant Standard
VBoxManage: error: Cannot register the hard disk '/mnt/Raid1/Downloads/VMz/Win7Pro/Win7ProDisk.vdi' {63133edd-446f-42f8-8d8b-fb6acd914281} because a hard disk '/home/user/Downloads/VMz/Win7Pro/Win7ProDisk.vdi' with UUID {63133edd-446f-42f8-8d8b-fb6acd914281} already exists
VBoxManage: error: Details: code NS_ERROR_INVALID_ARG (0x80070057), component VirtualBox, interface IVirtualBox, callee nsISupports
VBoxManage: error: Context: "OpenMedium(Bstr(pszFilenameOrUuid).raw(), enmDevType, enmAccessMode, fForceNewUuidOnOpen, pMedium.asOutParam())" at line 178 of file VBoxManageDisk.cpp
Could this be related to issues with the ext4 file system. Orrr /home/user/Downloads which is a symbolic link to the same folders somehow more obviously involved.

I'm running Linux Mint 17

$ uname -r
3.13.0-24-generic  Cinnamon edition.

~ $ aptitude search virtualbox | grep ^i
i A virtualbox                      - x86 virtualization solution - base binarie
i   virtualbox-dkms                 - x86 virtualization solution - kernel modul
i   virtualbox-guest-additions-iso  - guest additions iso image for VirtualBox  
i   virtualbox-guest-dkms           - x86 virtualization solution - guest additi
i   virtualbox-guest-utils          - x86 virtualization solution - non-X11 gues
i   virtualbox-guest-x11            - x86 virtualization solution - X11 guest ut
i   virtualbox-qt                   - x86 virtualization solution - Qt based use
Thanks

Couch
Last edited by Couch_Potato on 25. Aug 2014, 19:33, edited 1 time in total.
Perryg
Site Moderator
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: clonehd returns errors.

Post by Perryg »

Its fairly obvious what the problem is. There is already a HDD with the same UUID. If you want to clone the hd and not just clone the guest you can not register it until you change the UUID.
Couch_Potato

Post by Couch_Potato »

Perryg thanks for your reply.

Yeah the problem is though. /mnt/Raid1/Downloads/VMz/Win7Pro/Win7ProDisk.vdi and /home/user/Downloads/VMz/Win7Pro/Win7ProDisk.vdi are the same file. I was following the directions in another thread that mentioned using the the explicit path of the vdi file. So I did and I got that error message. Apparently, Virtualbox follows the symbolic link /home/user/Downloads/Raid1/VMz/Win7Pro back to the same file.
Last edited by Couch_Potato on 25. Aug 2014, 20:23, edited 1 time in total.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Well its not going to matter where the file is stored. There simply can not a duplicate UUID. If you clone the hd and do not change the UUID it will be the same no matter where it is on the system or what the name of the file is. It also looks like you are using the Debian or Ubuntu fork of VirtualBox and that in itself may be an issue.
Couch_Potato

Post by Couch_Potato »

I'm a confused. There is only one vdi that I am trying to clone: Win7ProDisk.vdi. Yet apparently vboxmanage is recognizing two?

/mnt/Raid1/Downloads/VMz/Win7Pro/Win7ProDisk.vdi
/home/user/Downloads/VMz/Win7Pro/Win7ProDisk.vdi

They are one and the same file.
Last edited by Couch_Potato on 25. Aug 2014, 21:08, edited 1 time in total.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Did you read the error message at all or just post it? I will quote it for you below.

Cannot register the hard disk '/mnt/Raid1/Downloads/VMz/Win7Pro/Win7ProDisk.vdi' {63133edd-446f-42f8-8d8b-fb6acd914281} because a hard disk '/home/user/Downloads/VMz/Win7Pro/Win7ProDisk.vdi' with UUID {63133edd-446f-42f8-8d8b-fb6acd914281} already exists

Like I said the UUID is what is stopping this and not the name or location.
Couch_Potato

Post by Couch_Potato »

Perryg wrote:Did you read the error message at all or just post it? I will quote it for you below.

Yes I did read it.

Cannot register the hard disk '/mnt/Raid1/Downloads/VMz/Win7Pro/Win7ProDisk.vdi' {63133edd-446f-42f8-8d8b-fb6acd914281} because a hard disk '/home/user/Downloads/VMz/Win7Pro/Win7ProDisk.vdi' with UUID {63133edd-446f-42f8-8d8b-fb6acd914281} already exists

Like I just posted above, they are one and the same file just I access one via symlink in my home folder the other was what I put on the command line.

Like I said the UUID is what is stopping this and not the name or location.
So if it is the UUID, do I need to unregister disk? I did detach it from its VM in the gui.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Yes that is one way to do it. What is the purpose of the clonehd anyway?
Couch_Potato

Post by Couch_Potato »

Perryg wrote:Yes that is one way to do it. What is the purpose of the clonehd anyway?
I need to enlarge the disk. So I was going to clone it to a dynamic and the enlarge the dynamic to suit my needs.

Thanks
Couch_Potato

Re: clonehd returns errors. [Solved]

Post by Couch_Potato »

I'm now trying:

vboxmanage {63133edd-446f-42f8-8d8b-fb6acd914281} /mnt/Raide1/Downloads/VMz/Win7Pro/Win7ProDynDisk.vid --format VDI --variant Standard
So far so good. 20% and counting. Done added to vm marked solv-ed