udev runs before /usr mounted

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
lotus49
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Debian Wheezy

udev runs before /usr mounted

Post by lotus49 »

I get errors on boot along the lines of:

Code: Select all

udevd[410]: failed to execute '/usr/share/virtualbox/VBoxCreateUSBNode.sh' '/usr/share/virtualbox/VBoxCreateUSBNode.sh 189 640 09': No such file or directory
This appears to be caused by udev running before /usr is mounted (I have /usr on a separate partition). I could move /usr/share/virtualbox elsewhere but I'd rather keep everything as standard as possible so I don't have to keep faffing around when I update VirtualBox.

Is there a neat solution to this problem? I cannot imagine I'm the only user to have /usr on a separate partition. This was logged as a bug 3 years ago and was supposed to have been fixed but, whatever the fix was, it clearly didn't work for me.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: udev runs before /usr mounted

Post by Perryg »

I would reopen the ticket at bugtracker or create a new one by now since the time is so far back.
lotus49
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Debian Wheezy

Re: udev runs before /usr mounted

Post by lotus49 »

Thanks for the suggestion but, having searched on Bugtracker, I see that someone else raised a ticked more recently (still two years ago) that is still open.

I ended up copying VBoxCreateUSBNode.sh to /lib/udev and editiing /etc/udev/rules.d/60-vboxdrv.rules so that it referred to the new location. This isn't pretty and may get over-written by an update but it does work for the time being.