Multiple soundcards to be seen by guest windows XP install

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
RobertC1985

Multiple soundcards to be seen by guest windows XP install

Post by RobertC1985 »

Hello, i need to know if it's possible and if so how to make my windows XP guest see multiple PCI sound cards physically installed on the xubuntu 14.04 host, if the host OS can not use them, so be it, but at this point i can only make the guest see one of them at a time and it still sees it as "Intel (r) Integrated Audio) no matter if i tell pulse to assign the soundblaster or the on board realtek system to the VM. i am going to purchase more PCI cards and would prefer that some of them could be seen by my windows guest. i have very specific reasons for this but in the interest of not typing my fingers off, i will only go into what those reasons are if it you ask.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Multiple soundcards to be seen by guest windows XP insta

Post by socratis »

As far as I know, there is only one virtual (i.e. simulated) sound card per guest.

But, you may be in luck. There's this "feature" called PCI passthrough. The first requirement is to run VirtualBox on a Linux host (check). For the rest of the details, read Chapter 9.6 PCI passthrough. Disclaimer: I've never tried it myself.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.