AMD-V is disabled in the BIOS (VERR_SVM_DISABLED)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
carbonfoil

AMD-V is disabled in the BIOS (VERR_SVM_DISABLED)

Post by carbonfoil »

I just found a work-around for an error which stopped my VirtualBox clients from booting after I had ugraded the host OS to Ubuntu 14.04):

PROBLEM: After upgrading to Ubuntu 14.04 LTS my Windows XP clients in VirtualBox could not boot anymore and showed the following error: AMD-V is disabled in the BIOS (oy by the host OS) (VERR_SVM_DISABLED)

Host: AMD Phenom(tm) 9850 Quad-Core Processor × 4
Host OS: Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, 64-bit
Client OS: Windows XP, 32-bit
VitrualBox: 4.3.10_Ubuntu r93012

SOLUTION/WORK AROUND: Any change the guest OS settings seems to do the trick: General > Basic > Version: from "Windows XP (32-bit)" to "Windows 2003 (32-bit)" or "Windows 7 (32-bit)"

Hope that helps some of you, too!
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: AMD-V is disabled in the BIOS (VERR_SVM_DISABLED

Post by mpack »

I'm afraid that is not a fix. The fact that it worked for you is probably accidental.

VT-x/AMD-v is required to run any 64bit guest, or any guest which uses multiple cores, likewise if you explicitly enable the VT-x/AMD-v option yourself in the VM settings (this is likely to be what you undid by selecting a different settings template).

If you get that error message then pay attention to what it's telling you: your PC does support AMD-v, but your host's BIOS is currently disabling it. So, the true fix is to boot into your hosts BIOS config feature and enable AMD-v support.

If the error was instead VERR_VMX_NO_VMX (or similar, that's from memory) then that's different. It means that your host PC doesn't support VT-x/AMD-v at all, hence you can't use any of the guest features mentioned in my second paragraph.
Nickname666

Re: AMD-V is disabled in the BIOS (VERR_SVM_DISABLED)

Post by Nickname666 »

If its only a setting in the BIOS, as you so expertly assert, then how could this problem appear over a reboot?
A Virtual Box setup that has been working for months. I saw notices that Manjaro Linux required an update.
I did the update, then reboot the computer.
After the reboot, the previously working virtual box now gives this error message.
I was litterally running the VB right up to the time of the update. After update and reboot, I now get this error msg.
Nothing changed in the BIOS during the reboot. Never even hit the DEL button to enter BIOS (or really UEFI settings).
So, why am I getting this error if its only cause is from the BIOS?

And, yes, the msg is (this is copy and paste)
AMD-V is disabled in the BIOS (or by the host OS) (VERR_SVM_DISABLED).
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

@Nick, did you happen to notice that the previous posts date from 2014? And OP only did this one post?

Let the dead sleep.

Or you could start a new thread, as would be indicated by Do not hijack other threads, create your own. Choose your title carefully. When (if) you do start a new thread, see Minimum Info Needed for Assistance.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

scottgus1 wrote:Let the dead sleep.
There have been a lot of changes since 2014. Drastic/dramatic ones. This thread is no longer current, locking it.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.