Printing to RDP client printer

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
bobert0670
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: W7, Cent, Ubuntu, etc.

Printing to RDP client printer

Post by bobert0670 »

So I have been trying and trying to get a printer setup to print to the Remote Users printer. I have the current setup.

SERVER:
Ubuntu Server 14.04
Virtualbox 4.3.12
PHPVirtualBox
VirtualBox Ext pack 4.3.12

Virtual Machine:
Windows 7 Ultimate
VirtualBox Guest Additions 4.3.12r93773
Enable USB Checked

Remote Client:
Windows Remote Desktop Client
Default Printer setup
RDP Options > Local Devices and Resources > Printers and Clipboard Checked
RDP Options > Local Devices and Resources > More Everything Checked

I cannot drag and drop, print, or see any of the Remote Client's drives.
Am I missing something here?
Other than this the system works great but I have to be able to print to the Remote Clients default Printer.

Thanks for any assistance.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Printing to RDP client printer

Post by Perryg »

Using the Windows RDP to connect you are actually using a network connection. This would be a question for MS?
bobert0670

Post by bobert0670 »

Not sure why this would be a MS question, I am using Virtualbox's server, so it would be a function of the server and the client, which Virtualbox states the microsoft RDP client is supported. According to MS all that is required (with thier RDP client) is to click those boxes.

Has anyone gotten printing and drag and drop functionality to work with virtualbox? are any additional ports required?

Next test is to actually connect directly to the virtual pc rather than the virtualbox server ip address.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

If you are using the guests IP you are not using the VBox vRDP connection, and the setup would be between you and the guest via MS RDP.

vRDP uses the host ip and the guest port.

Also DnD is only supported with a Linux guest at this time.
bobert0670

Post by bobert0670 »

OK So it is not MS RDP, or at least a test connecting directly to the Virtual Machine using bridged Ethernet works fine, it lists the printers that are installed on the client PC. So something in the VRDP server is keeping this from working. Not sure what is the root cause here but will continue to investigate. Seems like this is something that everyone would use, and would have been resolved. I find a lot of posts on this topic but no solution.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

VRDP is connecting to the "virtual hardware" of the guest.
Printer redirection using RDP is a software feature of the Microsoft RDP server inside the guest's Windows OS.
bobert0670

Post by bobert0670 »

Perry, Martin,

I agree that if I connect to the Guests IP it is a 100% microsoft RDP connection, and when I do that it works just perfect. If I use the Hosts IP then Virtualbox is doing the port redirection and it is apparently not doing something correctly. (Just my quick synopses) I will continue to test to see if I can determine what, it would be nice if MS had a better logging feature for RDP that showed what it was doing, but alas then it would be easy! I would rather not use the guests IP as then it is too easy to atttack. Ideally I woudl like to just have a webpage that requires a login, then depending on their login lists their Virtual machines, when they click a link the RDP opens within the browser. That is a ways ahead at this point but it is the ultimate goal.

Thanks for your input.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

With VRDP Virtualbox is not doing a port redirection but you connect to a RDP server part of the virtual hardware which doesn't have anything to do with the guest OS.
bobert0670

Post by bobert0670 »

I understand what you are saying. I guess my definition of
"VRDP is a backwards-compatible extension to Microsoft's Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP). As a result, you can use any standard RDP client to control the remote VM."
would include all that that entails. Some further reading about Virtualbox, and VDI seems to indicate that the only way to get printer redirection is when the Microsoft RDP server is used.

Looks like I'm going to have to go down the VPN route to get what I need and have a secure system.

Thanks for the insight.