Host hard hang/crash - VB 4.3.10/12 w/ ethernet bridging

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
unmanifest

Host hard hang/crash - VB 4.3.10/12 w/ ethernet bridging

Post by unmanifest »

Hi,

I'm reposting my question which I had originally posted on a moribund thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=57842&start=90#p290277.

In short, I'm having issues where running a CentOS65 guest on a Debian host, has crashed (hard hang - need to restart) the host multiple times. Besides all the information from my original post (pasted below), I wanted to add this: the host has ethernet bridging turned on - so br0 is a virtual network interface (for the bridge) and say eth3 is the actual hardware interface. If I wish to use a 'bridged adapter' for the guest (want to give it a LAN visible IP for running services), is it wrong/risky/prone-to-crashes to use br0 or eth3? If it's okay, should I be doing something additionally on the host? Pardon my ignorance here - never dealt with ethernet bridging on the host before. As an aside, using br0, works quite well - but the crash dump on the host has lot of text related to the net filter driver etc. - so wondering if that is the problem? Or is it just a VBox version + kernel version combo. Thanks for reading!

-- snip [from the post that is linked above] --
I just got back to using it again - started with 4.3.10 and then tried 4.3.12. I'm running a CentOS6.5 guest on a Debian host. I've had multiple hard crashes of the host (host completely freezes up - needs a hard reset of the server etc.). I read through the entire thread and tried the various permutations save recompiling the kernel on the host or changing the number of guest CPUs. But I clearly saw crashes w/ a single VCPU. I also tried to move to 4.2.18 (deb obtained from virtualbox dot org) - but even that took down the host. As people have pointed out, there is no useful info in /var/log/messages. The only stuff I see, is on the server console, some messages all seemingly related to VBoxNetFilter and VBoxService (I am 'paraphrasing' the exact words but hope you get the idea). Find my kconfig and uname information below. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

$ zcat /proc/config.gz | grep PREEMPT
# CONFIG_PREEMPT_RCU is not set
CONFIG_PREEMPT_NOTIFIERS=y
CONFIG_PREEMPT_NONE=y
# CONFIG_PREEMPT_VOLUNTARY is not set
# CONFIG_PREEMPT is not set
$ uname -a
Linux <edited> 3.10.14 #17 SMP Thu Oct 3 15:05:23 CEST 2013 x86_64 GNU/Linux
hekar

Re: Host hard hang/crash - VB 4.3.10/12 w/ ethernet bridging

Post by hekar »

I have the same issue on Ubuntu 14.04 after updating the system (even occurs if I use older kernel).

Do older versions of Virtualbox work? I'm going to try downgrading to <=4.3.9