virtual box 64bit issue on Oralce Linux host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
autoconfig

virtual box 64bit issue on Oralce Linux host

Post by autoconfig »

I am using Oracle linux 6.3 as host with 32GB ram and installed latest version of 64bit VB,however when i ever i tried to install guest linux or windows OS in version section its not showing any of 64bit OSs, its just showing only 32bit,can you please help me to understand or resolve the issue

please find the attached screen shot,any help is really appreciated, i've installed host OS as Oracle Linux 6.3 64BIT
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (59.34 KiB) Viewed 1488 times
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: virtual box 64bit issue on Oralce Linux host

Post by Perryg »

1) 64-bit guests need hardware-virtualzation enabled in the hosts bios.
2) when creating the 64-bit guest you must select 64-bit in General -> Basic -> version.
3) If running Windows as host you must make sure hyper-v or xp mode is not enabled on the host. MS does not play well and wants it all.
autoconfig

Post by autoconfig »

Hi,

Thank you very much for information,

1) 64-bit guests need hardware-virtualzation enabled in the hosts bios.
can you please explain me how to change the bios settings to enable 64bit VM.

3) If running Windows as host you must make sure hyper-v or xp mode is not enabled on the host. MS does not play well and wants it all.

how can i make sure hyper -v or xp mode is not enabled.

Thanks
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

The bios setting is done on the host and you would need to either look it up in your users manual or contact the manufacture to see how it is done. Since you are posting in the Linux portion of the forum as host you would not need to worry about the XP mode or hyper-v
DAG

Post by DAG »

I have the same issue. I am running PCLOS2014 64bit on a HP XW4300. I just installed the current Virtualbox release, VirtualBox-4.3.12-93733-Linux_amd64.run, which made no difference. I downloaded VirtualBox-4.3-4.3.12_93733_mdv2011.0-1.x86_64.rpm, just installed after removing the previous installation. I still have only 32bit guests available. As had been suggested, I checked my BIOS but did not find any settings as suggested, nor anything that referred to 64bit operation.

Is it possible that with only 2G of RAM I am not allowed to setup any 64bit guests? I'll know for certain as soon as my memory upgrade arrives.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Memory is not the factor here. If you do not have a hardware virtualization ( VT-x/AMD-v) CPU and its support in bios you can not install 64-bit guests.
DAG

Post by DAG »

Well that bites. Thanks for the quick response.

Guess I'll just have to keep pushing for a new PC. :wink: