[Solved] Use Antivirus On Host and/or Guest?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
YoderIII

[Solved] Use Antivirus On Host and/or Guest?

Post by YoderIII »

Hello All:

I am using RoboLinux 7.5.1 as my host OS.

I am using XP Pro 32bit and 64bit as guests and other OS's.

When I go online and to check email I am using the Linux host.

But there are times I need to use the guest XP to go online for videos - Netflix is one example. - Amazon is another. Because they do not support linux to stream videos.

Because there are now some viruses starting to show up on linux machines should I use antivirus on both guest and host? And if so what are the recommended
options? Avast?, Comodo? Clam-av? etc.

You guys are great. Thanks for your help!
Last edited by YoderIII on 7. Jun 2014, 20:14, edited 2 times in total.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Use Antivirus On Host and/or Guest?

Post by Perryg »

Because there are now some viruses starting to show up on linux machines
And what viruses would these be?
YoderIII

Post by YoderIII »

Uploaded on Nov 29, 2011

My Ubuntu system got infected with a virus last week, It came from a driveby download forced to my system through exploits in Firefox and Adobe Flash Player.
The only effect I found was my system beaconing out to a Polish IP address. Left unchecked it could have been much worse...

In this video explain how the virus was forced down, the steps to take in identifying any possible infections, how web exploitation can infect Linux users.
The increase in popularity of Android does pose a risk for desktop & server Linux as its making for more of a profitable malware target.

0:25 The infected website
1:50 How to find the infection
2:18 Netstat
5:44 My Paper on Web Exploitation
11:20 Conclusion

Netstat Commands (Linux only):
List all connections: sudo netstat -natp
Resolve IP Addresses: sudo netstat -Watp
List Processes: ps -A

Reference: www dot unixmen dot com/meet-linux-viruses/

Reference: www dot youtube dot com/watch?v=94QsgdXnsmU

Search: www dot youtube dot com/results?search_query=Virus+on+linux

Read: http://en dot wikipedia dot org/wiki/Linux_malware

Search: www dot google dot com/#q=virus+on+linux
Last edited by YoderIII on 7. Jun 2014, 20:42, edited 3 times in total.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Malware and viruses are two different things. And the only way either would affect Linux is if the user is stupid enough to run as root.

As for Windows XP, I would be more worried about the lack of security update now that they are no longer being provided.
Of course a virus program for XP might help some.
YoderIII

Post by YoderIII »

Malware Virsus etc. All are problems caused by little trolls who pose as antivirus professionals in the daytime and work overtime as troll code writers to cause eveyone including you trouble. It is still something that needs to be protected against.

That is why I was asking. I am not logged in as root on any manchine host or guest.

Will antivirus programs work under linux?

And

Will antivirus work under VirtualBox??

Thanks again for your help.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

You shouldn't include me in this paranoia. I don't have problems with either in Linux. Like I said if you don't run as root or you don't install packages that you do not trust you can not become infected, period. But if it makes you feel better then clamav is supposed to be a good one for Linux.

As for VirtualBox it has nothing to do with this. Focus on the host or guest.
YoderIII

Post by YoderIII »

Thanks
YoderIII

Post by YoderIII »

Best answer. See this. I found answer myself.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=46147
dsherer

Re: [Solved] Use Antivirus On Host and/or Guest?

Post by dsherer »

YoderIII wrote:Best answer. See this. I found answer myself.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=46147
Sorry, I don't belive this is the best answer as it talks only about windows machines. Can linux Catch a virus? Yes but it is very very rare and usually comes in the form of a rootkit. The only virus that I know of wright now that can affect linux users is the Crypto-Locker which is really isn't a virus as much as it is just allowing a key pair to be made and encrypting Word files, excel files and PDF files. Can Linux be vunerable to the same exploits in java and other cross platform technologies? Absolelutely, but your AV will most likely not stop the exploits. This is why Android can be vunerable too, because of the java application layer and not the core Linux layer.

If you want protection I would suggest using an appliance or making a box and putting something on it like untangle to protect your network
YoderIII

Post by YoderIII »

Thanks for the reply.

I will check this out further.

You might want to check out the first reference above. It is good reading.

Thanks!
YoderIII

Post by YoderIII »

Re: [Solved] VirtualBox On Dell Inspiron 1521 With Linux

Postby YoderIII » 8. Jun 2014, 18:47
I am actually running 1910 mb for XP (I know it does not need that much) with no bad effects on either system - host or guest. I am also running malwarebytes, comodo Internet security, Hitman Pro, CCleaner, and Comodo Ice Dragon all for security. I am also running Adobe Reader XI, incidently. All this is under Virtualbox 4.3.12 r93733 on the XP Pro 32 bit system. I will be loading Office Pro Plus 2010 soon.

I will be building a system with 7 Ultimate soon.

Once these are built and tested I will make an image and put on all other boxes.

I am very happy with VirtualBox for my guest XP Pro and my Linux host system - RoboLinux.

My goal is to be as malware, virus, etc. free as I can be. I am converting all my boxes (10 Boxes) to a setup like I have already described above. I do not log in to root unless I am doing adminstration processes on both Guest and hosts systems. Call me paranoid or what ever you want to call me. . . I will be the one without problems. I have forever left Microsoft behind as a stand alone OS. I will only run future Microsoft OS Boxes on a Linux system as described above. The Microsoft haters of the world and the trolls that write malware, viruses, etc. for any system now or in the future will have a hard time getting me . . . .again!

By the way there is currently ongoing work being done - (RoboLinux) In developing a system that has and uses two video cards. One for host and 1 for guest. This will elimanate the current restrictions on runnning high end video graphics under Virtualbox on linux. Then "all" software will run on linux under VirtualBox.
This is as long as the software is not restricted to be used on a virtual machine.

When this is finished and developed I am there to support and use this system. Oh, and the new release makes you a ghost online!

Thanks!

VirtualBox is Awesome!