net use s: \\vboxsvr\Shared no longer works?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
igoddard

Post by igoddard »

iamvoyager wrote:VirtualBox is not listed
I have the same problem. If I attempt to explore the network I can see the host but the share isn't there, just printers and scheduled events. Yes, I'm running it as Administrator and yes I've updated the additions.

I also find that it doesn't auto adjust guest size

Performance is s o s l o w w w . . . . .

Ian
DennyCrane

Post by DennyCrane »

It doesn't always auto-adjust the size for me either. If I mess with it by pressing and then re-pressing the auto-resize or full screen, it returns to normal.
Last edited by DennyCrane on 19. Oct 2011, 15:26, edited 1 time in total.
igoddard

Post by igoddard »

iamvoyager wrote:
igoddard wrote:
iamvoyager wrote:VirtualBox is not listed
I have the same problem. If I attempt to explore the network I can see the host but the share isn't there, just printers and scheduled events. Yes, I'm running it as Administrator and yes I've updated the additions.

I also find that it doesn't auto adjust guest size

Performance is s o s l o w w w . . . . .

Ian
Mine also *sometimes* does not auto-adjust the size. I find that if I play with it a little by clicking and then re-clicking the auto-resize and / or full screen, it goes back to normal.
I expressed it badly. It does autosize when selected from the menu but when VB restarts it reverts to postage-stamp size.

Ian
DennyCrane

Post by DennyCrane »

Yes, I think we have the same problem. Sometimes mine is only 800x600 when I start it up, and sometimes it is "the size of a postage stamp." If the option to auto resize is already checked, I have to uncheck it and then re-check it to get it to work.
bobpaul
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux, Other

Post by bobpaul »

Got it!

This has been broken for me for the past 2 or 3 upgrades. I did two things, but I'm not sure if the first was necessary.

#1 -- I disabled the windows firewall. I had previously assumed it was off, and since VBox uses a NAT anyway, I figure the firewall is pretty unnecessary. As this only blocks inbound connections, though, I have trouble seeing it cause problems. Regardless, it's what I did.

#2 -- My Computer -> My Network Places... it was empty. Clicked "View Work Group Computers" where I saw Lappy486 (my host box) and Lappy486-XP, the guest OS. Now I pressed the "Up Directory Level" button twice to take me to "Entire Network". From here I see Microsoft Terminal, Microsoft Windows Networks, Web Client Network, and VirtualBox Shared Folders.

Bingo! Double clicked on VirtualBox Shared Folders and found the one I wanted. I could even Right Click->Map Network Drive and it persisted at reboot.

Now, this is weird, because I end up at \\VBOXSVR\Sharename, but if I manually type that into the Run dialog or use it with netuse I receive an error.

Responding to the off topic chatter: My VBox 1.6 is ass slow, too. I had to turn off the AMD VT to make it even POST for some reason, but even with that off it's much slower than it should be.
Packthead
Primary OS: Mandriva
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Post by Packthead »

same problem too, no solution working for instance...
Packthead
Primary OS: Mandriva
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Post by Packthead »

maybe some good news :

i've reinstalled the "additions" and i recreated my shared folders without problems

It's working fine now !!!
Saneless

Post by Saneless »

I tried uninstalling my 1.5 additions and it automatically installed 1.6. Maybe I'll just uninstall that if it lets me and redo it, because no shared folders is irritating (since I have my itunes set up to the share drive)
frank
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: Debian Sid
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Post by frank »

iamvoyager, please could you open a bug report and attach the VBox.log file of that session to the report? It might be possible that the VBox service for shared folders is not started on your host system for some reason.
pcovariant

Post by pcovariant »

I had the same problems and found out that I was tricked by the following: when you upgrade the tools to 1.6, it will tell you that you should first uninstall the old tools and the reboot.

I did that, but forgot to re-launch the tool install process. This left me without working VBox tools installed in my machine. What fooled me for some time was the fact that the icon in the lower right corner still showed a VBox logo (the new one!) in the VM, making me assume that the tools were correctly installed.

After installing the tools again, everything suddenly worked fine.
degerli

Re: net use s: \\vboxsvr\Shared no longer works?

Post by degerli »

There is a workaround solution .
The vboxsvr ip address is your virtual machines default gateway ip address. So you can use "net use" command with this ip address , like

"net use x: \\10.0.2.2\share"
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: net use s: \\vboxsvr\Shared no longer works?

Post by mpack »

Don't raise the dead. This thread is over four years old.