USB device not detected in Virtualbox

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
rarelyseldom

USB device not detected in Virtualbox

Post by rarelyseldom »

Hello,

I run Windows 7 32 Bit as guest on a 64 Bit Linux host.

I use Virtualbox 4.3.8 with extension pack 4.3.8r92456 installed. Thus, USB 2.0 is available.

I try to connect a Sony Xperia Android device via USB.

But, Virtualbox does not detect / see that device. I tried with a USB filter and without to no success.

The Linux host system has access to the mobile device.

What could be wrong there? Do I need to install additional USB stuff within the Windows 7 guest system?

Thanks for any hint.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: USB device not detected in Virtualbox

Post by Perryg »

Did you add your username to the vboxusers group on the host?
This will require at minimum a log off and on for permissions to change.
rarelyseldom

Post by rarelyseldom »

Perryg wrote:Did you add your username to the vboxusers group on the host?
Yes.

Connecting directly to the PC without a hub makes no difference.

I see, /dev/vboxusb/ is empty when I connect a device.

The strange thing is, the USB webcam is detected and works... My mobile phone and USB storage stick are not detected.

By the way, what are the correct permissions for /dev/vbox* devices?

Mine look like this:

crw------- 1 root root 10, 58 17. Apr 21:31 /dev/vboxdrv
crw------- 1 root root 10, 57 17. Apr 21:31 /dev/vboxdrvu
crw------- 1 root root 10, 56 17. Apr 21:31 /dev/vboxnetctl

Is this okay or do they need to be changed? As said above, I am in group vboxusers.

Thanks.
dsherer

Post by dsherer »

that is because android phones, assuming the phone is android doesn't mount the phones via usb any more, well since version 4.0 I think, They mount it via MTP or PTP which doesn't mount an actual usb port anymore. You could use mtp-tools but so far all I have seen with this is that it will allow you to mount it as a regular filesystem and not as a dev such as /dev/usb1.

If you are wanting to install custom roms you will need to install a cusotm recovery via sdcard. move the custom revoery to the sdcard and rename it to update.zip. reboot the phone into recovery mode and install update.zip. Once that is done you can install root through a zip file then custom roms.

However you won'tr be able to run Odin, well maybe in wine but I haven't rtied that
rarelyseldom

Re: USB device not detected in Virtualbox SOLVED

Post by rarelyseldom »

SOLVED

OpenSUSE actually does disable USB in its VB package. They say due to security concerns. But you can enable it, look at http://en.opensuse.org/VirtualBox Thus you do not need to install VB from their server, you can keep the openSUSE version, just need to enable USB manually. Or you install the Oracle version. The benefit of the Oracle version is it is easier to build the modules if you install your own kernel.