VBox not Recognizing 64-Bit Processor

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
rayvd

VBox not Recognizing 64-Bit Processor

Post by rayvd »

Hello,

I recently installed Linux Mint 16, and have been setting things up. I have a dual-boot system with Windows 8.1 running on an Intel i7-3770 processor. I wanted to set up the virtual machine with the same 64-Bit windows that I use in my dual-boot configuration, so I wouldn't have to reboot every time I needed to do something in Windows.

Here is the sequence that I followed:
- Installed the latest version of VirtualBox (4.3.10 r93012)
- Attempted to start a Windows8 VM, but it said I needed VT-x enabled from the BIOS
- Hibernated Mint and entered the BIOS on startup
- Enabled Virtualization Technology (The separate entry, VT-d, was already Enabled.)
- Logged back into Mint and tried again.
- This time it began starting from the CD with the Windows8 logo, but after a little while, it gave me a blue screen saying that it couldn't run a 64-bit guest on a 32-bit processor. (Settings > General > Version offers only 32-bit options for the various OS's)

Any help would be appreciated. I read through a few similar posts, but none seem to address my issue.
Attachments
VBoxLog.txt
Log File
(47.11 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: VBox not Recognizing 64-Bit Processor

Post by Perryg »

Try it without hibernation. In other words shut the host down completely.
rayvd

Re: VBox not Recognizing 64-Bit Processor

Post by rayvd »

Okay, Now I feel silly. That seems to have worked. I assumed that since it didn't warn me about VT-d not being enabled on startup, that it had what it needed.

Thank you...
Ray