Get bootmgr missing error in VB

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
phantom21

Get bootmgr missing error in VB

Post by phantom21 »

Under Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit, on an Acer Aspire X1301 system with 4GB RAM have installed Windows 7 64 bit, but keep getting the "Bootmgr is Missing " error. Have created a windows 7 repair disk and tried, in the VM, at the command line for the repair software, "bootrec /fixboot" and this comes back as successful, but it still does not boot.

If anyone has a fix for this I'd be grateful.

Mark

Virtualbox version is 4.1.12
dsherer

Re: Get bootmgr missing error in VB

Post by dsherer »

try setting your storage controller to

VBoxManage storagectl <VM> --controller PIIX4

Windows 7 should work with AHCI But I have seen it bomb out trying to boot with an AHCI controller
phantom21

Post by phantom21 »

Tried the command as you've put it, did it as follows:

sudo VBoxManage storagectl Win7 --controller PIIX4

where Win7 is the name of the vm.

It came back wih
Syntax error: Too few parameters

What is my issue here?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

You're missing the "--name" parameter. Look in the manual, Ch. 8.19: VBoxManage storagectl for more info. But, don't do it.

dsherer's advice is not something that you can do. AHCI is for SATA controllers, PIIX4 is for IDE ones. You can't switch them.

You're running a way too old version of VBox. Try to update to the latest one. And take a look at this: Minimum information needed for assistance.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
dsherer

Post by dsherer »

Thanks for the tip Socratis, I though the command was valid for all of version 4
phantom21

Post by phantom21 »

None of this has helped. To try to emulate the system (Acer system) I've been trying to create a virtualbox vm on a different system, with the same results.

I'm using virtualbox 4.3.0 (the latest one that will work on Linux Mint 15), fr which I've installed win7, ad I still get the BOOTMGR is missing message, even though I booted with a win7 repair disk, went into command line, and entered bootrec /fixboot.

This returned the message it was successful.

So, the windows boot manager is not somehow being installed.

What if I installed grub, and tried to start win7 from there?

Oh, and changing back and forth between ICH9 and PIIX3, which are my only options, does nothing.

Mark
dsherer

Post by dsherer »

Need to see if the boot partition is active. Download Bare Metal Boot It and boot the VM to that. BM Boot It will allow you to edit your partition and make your Boot partition active. It can also fix MBR problems.
phantom21

Post by phantom21 »

If I red the docs on this correctly, loading this in the VM may work, but only for the 30 day trial period, after which I would need to buy the product to keep it going. Is this correct?
dsherer

Post by dsherer »

don't install it just use it of the disk