3D Acceleration Issues with w7 guest - win live mail '12/IE

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
WeManageIT
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux Baby! LINUX!

3D Acceleration Issues with w7 guest - win live mail '12/IE

Post by WeManageIT »

I use 3.8.rxxx (that was the current build when I installed... ) I used the DEB from the site, as I am putting this on a box that must have ESR releases on it, and doesn't appear there is a Trusty Repo yet from Oracle and the Canocial version is WAAAY BEHIND... I need to be current before I release this box back to its user completely...

Linux Host is : Kubuntu 14.04 Daily Image from 3/19/14 FULLY UPDATED as of today... I update it each time updates come out...

Guest: W7 Ultimate 64bit GUEST ADDITIWITHONS

Problem: Windows Live Mail '12 from Essentials 12 and IE 11 (?) have problems with 3D Acceleration active...

WLM'12 - partial renders, black boxes, artifacts from the desktop behind the program

IE11 - Will put a black screen when you move the mouse over links on a page, like google.

DISABLING 3D acceleration cures it, 2D IS STILL ENABLED, still fine.

Issue has been present since the install of W7U64B as a guest...

Ideas???

More info wanted ? ?

For the most part.. the user can live with out the 3D acceleration as far as I can tell... the W7 guest will only be used till they are finally weened to Linux full time. I still would like to enable the 3D, and if it is a bug get it reported and fixed for others...

Comments??
Do NOT reply with the "POST REPLY" button, please use "QUOTE", on the post.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: 3D Acceleration Issues with w7 guest - win live mail '12

Post by Perryg »

Not sure about the mail program but you should turn off the use GPU ( acceleration ) in IE. Maybe the same thing is available in the mail app.
WeManageIT
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux Baby! LINUX!

Re: 3D Acceleration Issues with w7 guest - win live mail '12

Post by WeManageIT »

Perryg wrote:Not sure about the mail program but you should turn off the use GPU ( acceleration ) in IE. Maybe the same thing is available in the mail app.
Well IE is banished anyway.. I removed all the menu entries, and renamed the exe and changed the big blue e to point to Firefox... thats resolved.. or was not going to be a problem... just where I noticed it till I installed Firefox....

But the irrate call about solitare, freecell not working, required that 3D acceleration be re-enabled...as what ever "software render mode" or something just is a big black screen inside the window...

Windows Live Mail '12 doesn't have any option that I kind find.. and using "Compatibility Mode" and disabling things made no changes...

So I have to find a resolution to this.. the email program would be changed to KMail or something on the Linux side but I have to ween them away... slowly... and right now WLM'12 and Freecell/Solitare must work.

Any one??? Buelller??? Any ideas? ? ?
Do NOT reply with the "POST REPLY" button, please use "QUOTE", on the post.