Ubuntu 8.04 host interface broke after 1.6 upgrade

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
eculpepper

Post by eculpepper »

just updated ticket #1471 with my log file. i noticed someone has already attached one, but the more data the merrier, right? :wink:
pofufo

Post by pofufo »

eculpepper wrote:just updated ticket #1471 with my log file. i noticed someone has already attached one, but the more data the merrier, right? :wink:
It was me. I hope this will be worked out soon, but meanwhile, anybody can help me downgrading to 1.5.6? I tried:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get remove virtualbox
It went fine, then installed v. 1.5.6, and I can't get it to work. It says there is some error in file VirtualBox.xml.

PS: Windows XP guest on Ubuntu 8.04 Host.[/quote]
frank
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: Debian Sid
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Post by frank »

I was able to reproduce this problem now. Fixed in SVN, thanks for these reports.
emmjay

Post by emmjay »

Nat doesn't work for me, so here's what I did to get host networking running using the Intel Pro emulation nic as the amd pc net doesn't work in 1.6 as already said.

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto tap0
iface tap0 inet manual
tunctl_user emmjay
uml_proxy_arp 192.168.0.2
uml_proxy_ether eth0

auto br0
iface br0 inet dhcp
bridge_ports eth0 tap0
bridge_maxwait 0
First thing I did was to stop the networking interface

sudo /etc/init.d/networking stop
then I opened up the networking interface

sudo kate /etc/networking/interfaces
I cleared everything and started fresh with the details I posted above. Saved, and closed kate (I'm running Kubuntu 8.04) and started back the networking interface

sudo /etc/init.d/networking start
and both my host and guest had internet once again.
dfenwick

Post by dfenwick »

Frank Mehnert wrote:All these problems with host networking interfaces are quite strange. I just installed a fresh Hardy / i386 here and VirtualBox 1.6.0 on top of it. Set up host networking as described in the manual (same as with 1.5.6) and it works fine. Please could someone of you attach a VBox.log file to http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/1471 ? Please use a log file from a session when hostif doesn't work.
I've been running 1.6 on Hardy here and networking works fine.
scottro

Post by scottro »

I want to thank Frank for the quick fix. When will 1.6.2 be generally available?

I had the problem on CentOS 5.1 x64, Fedora 8 and Fedora 9, (with Win2K guest). Perhaps it didn't affect Ubuntu users <shrug>

While thanking, also a thanks to the people who reported it and those who reported their fixes.

EDIT. I just tried out the subversion, which is showing as 1.6.1, on Fedora 9. Bridged networking seems to be working with it. Once again, many thanks.
MasterSushi

Post by MasterSushi »

I am not sure how to install the SVN version. I am using Ubuntu 8.04 64 bit.
scottro

Post by scottro »

Are you at all familiar with compiling? They give pretty clear instructions, especially for Ubuntu users.

Here's the link to the downloads page
http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

Towards the bottom they give information about how to get the subversion.

Here's the build instructions.

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux%20 ... structions

The only thing is, that if you run into trouble, and you're not experienced with compiling, you'll probably be stuck, but at that point, it's a self contained directory--that is, you aren't putting things into your system, it's all going to be in that directory.

Hrrm--I don't remember if the instructions covered the fact that if you have an existing vboxdrv.ko module you should probably move it somewhere. It would probably be in /lib/modules/(your kernel, e.g. 2.6.24-generic/misc.

You will see something called vboxdrv.ko. Rename it.
mv vboxdrv.ko vboxdrv.ko.bak (as in backup, you can call it anything you like, but that's my habit.)

Just make sure to follow it step by step and you should probably be fine. Install what they suggest installing first. Type things exactly as they are on the page.

On the other hand, it's about 4:30 am in Germany, and Frank might post tomorrow that the new version is already available for download, in which case, you've gone to a lot of worry for nothing.

Note that the kmk command will take awhile.
I would also take the precaution of copying my $HOME/.VirtualBox directory to $HOME/.VirtualBox.old. The reason for this is that the new version does make some changes to the xml files, and though they give you the opportunity to back it up before creating your new machine, if you accidentally click the wrong thing, you won't be able to go back to your old version.

Hope this helps.
MasterSushi

Post by MasterSushi »

I think I will hold off on attempting to compile to see if they release a .deb of the 1.6.1 version.

I have never been successful at compiling a program even when I have followed directions. I always end up with some crazy error. So, I will try to be patient and hope for a new .deb soon.
scottro

Post by scottro »

Judging from past experience, they should get it out pretty quickly.

I hadn't noticed you were on a 64 bit machine which makes it a little more complex as well, so you've probably made the right decision.

For what it's worth, I haven't noticed any spectacular performance increase--it feels a wee bit snappier, but I think you'll be fine waiting for them to release the binaries.
light11

failure with host interface.. vbox 1.6

Post by light11 »

I have Hardy64 as host, Windows XP as guest, Virtual Box 1.6, and I just can't get the host interface to work (NAT works flowlessly).

I have rigorously followed the manual, but it doesn't mention what to do in the guest network settings (I tried to let windows detect IP settings automatically but it failed). Any idea ?

Should the vbox0 interface have an IP assigned to it ?
What IP should the guest get ? the same like br0 ? or like vbox0 ?
or maybe a different one ? or does it matter ?
What should be the gateway for br0 and vbox0 and the guest ?
All of those are not mentioned in the manual... maybe here lies
my problem ?

TIA!!

Here is my ifconfig output:

br0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:1c:c0:19:56:2a
inet addr:10.0.0.182 Bcast:10.0.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fe80::21c:c0ff:fe19:562a/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1492 Metric:1
RX packets:103305 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:52252 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:54286973 (51.7 MB) TX bytes:8658974 (8.2 MB)

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:1c:c0:19:56:2a
inet6 addr: fe80::21c:c0ff:fe19:562a/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:6297387 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:3832413 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
RX bytes:6932347678 (6.4 GB) TX bytes:384982902 (367.1 MB)
Memory:e3200000-e3220000

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:2310 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:2310 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:280985 (274.3 KB) TX bytes:280985 (274.3 KB)

vbox0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:ff:b3:35:a5:61
inet6 addr: fe80::2ff:b3ff:fe35:a561/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:419 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:1 errors:0 dropped:314 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:500
RX bytes:48392 (47.2 KB) TX bytes:64 (64.0 B)
th_bone

Post by th_bone »

Hi,

with win2k guest the use of Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop driver
didn't solve the host-interface problem - no connection working
at all

Is there a other fix for this problem ? NAT works - but I have to connect
to other PCs in my network.

The Bug reports show something like Bug fixed in 1.6.2 version - is there
a new version out there ? - I can't find it

Thx

Ralf
nealr

Post by nealr »

Frank Mehnert wrote:I was able to reproduce this problem now. Fixed in SVN, thanks for these reports.
What is the status of this? Is there a release ETA? This seems like a major bug rendering 1.6 unusable as a VM appliance host.

I have just installed VirtualBox 1.6 on Hardy 64bit host with both XP and CentOS4.4 guests. Both can see NAT internet, neither can be seen from the host (which I need).

Note also that the free VMWare player is not an option either as it doesn't work on Hardy's gold kernel version. I tried downgrading to 1.5.6 while I wait.. XP crashes (VDI built with 1.6)

Thanks.. I love the seamless mode. fantastic. Nice software!
nealr

Post by nealr »

scottro wrote:Judging from past experience, they should get it out pretty quickly.

I hadn't noticed you were on a 64 bit machine which makes it a little more complex as well, so you've probably made the right decision.

For what it's worth, I haven't noticed any spectacular performance increase--it feels a wee bit snappier, but I think you'll be fine waiting for them to release the binaries.
I just managed to build the 64bit binary for a Hardy64 host. I immediately noticed a difference as it complained about the host interface being misconfigured. However, the VDI WinXPSP2 I created with 1.6.0 (Sun release) will not load.. blue screen of death and safe mode doesn't help.

I suppose this is a dumb question.. I have used VMWare in the past.. will the VDIs build under one version (1.6.0) of the Sun release be loadable with a new release (1.6.2)?

My Centos VMDK VM loaded and the networking worked after I reconfigured the eth0 entry.

Thanks - Neal
isaacjun16
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows2K/XP

Change IDE Controller Tipe

Post by isaacjun16 »

HI, nealr, I had a virtual machine created with virtualbox 1.5 in ubuntu 7.04 and 7.10, it worked fine until I upgrade my system to ubuntu 8.04 and virutalbox 1.6, then every time I tried to start the machine, It will give me a blue screen, so, what I did was to change IDE Controller Tipe to PIIX3 in setting - general - advanced, and that work great for me, but, I still having problems to set it up with host interface. Oh, I almost forgot to mention that my virtual machine is windows 2000. :D