VirtualBox Manager terminated -NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
jc179

VirtualBox Manager terminated -NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)

Post by jc179 »

Hi

I have a machine running a few VM's with an usual problem. The machine is running slackware 64 bit, v 14. I can from within X start "VirtualBox" and fire up all / any of the virtual machines. I can also script in my startup script "VBoxHeadless --startvm "xxxxxxxxx", and those work fine too.

My issue occurs when:
I run on boot up VBoxHeadless --startvm "some vm" which starts OK - *AND THEN* I attempt to start a new machine from within VirtualBox Manager GUI. The GUI opens OK but if I make a new VM or stop one that's running , or stop even ALL that are running, I cannot start any of them back up! I have to re-launch them with the headless command or _REBOOT_ the whole box and then I can start them with the Virtualbox GUI.

The error message is:
"Failed to open a session fo rthe virtual machine xxxxxxxxxx."
"The virtual machine "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1."

Details
Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: Machine
Interface: IMachine {480cf695-2d8d-4256-9c7c-cce4184fa048}

Copy & OK

I've checked the basics, and have tried starting this one virtual machine with "headless" command - it starts OK. Also I can start it OK in the Virtualbox GUI if I don't start *any* headless machines on boot.

The annoyance is if I want to add/load another virtual machine, I need to use the GUI to load it, and I have to disable startup script and reboot whole machine.... :|

Edit: The version im running is 4.3.6 build 91406, I am contemplating on trying the latest version ;though a quick scan of the release notes doesn't indicate anyone has encountered this issue. Some googling shows this issue has occurred a lot in the past with unrelated (so far as I can tell at this point) issues causing it.

Any hints what to check?

thanks,

Jonathan
JoeyG

Re: VirtualBox Manager terminated -NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004

Post by JoeyG »

I updated VirtualBox and it worked for me after that.