VirtualBox not working on Fedora 18

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: VirtualBox not working on Fedora 18

Post by Perryg »

Vendor : RPM Fusion
Is not VirtualBox.org. This is a repository build from the source of VirtualBox that they change to fit their needs. Not the same as the official build from VirtualBox.

The following is the real deal and one that we can support here.
http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualb ... x86_64.rpm
If you decide to use the official one be sure to remove the one you have installed now. Your guest/s will remain intact and be picked up on install. Other than that you would need to seek assistance from rpm fusion.
DougG

Post by DougG »

Perryg wrote:
Vendor : RPM Fusion
Is not VirtualBox(dot)org. This is a repository build from the source of VirtualBox that they change to fit their needs. Not the same as the official build from VirtualBox.

The following is the real deal and one that we can support here.
download.virtualbox(dot)org/virtualbox/4.2.16/VirtualBox-4.2-4.2.16_86992_fedora18-1.x86_64.rpm
If you decide to use the official one be sure to remove the one you have installed now. Your guest/s will remain intact and be picked up on install. Other than that you would need to seek assistance from rpm fusion.
Perryg. Thank you for all of your help. That worked perfectly. I still have my fedora VM.

One last question so I may be able know for next time. Why of all of a sudden the previous VirtualBox stopped working with errors? Is it because I may have updated the kernel, and VirtualBox did not have an upgrade to that kernel version?

And I thought by using the 'YUM INSTALL' command queries and downloads from the trusted repository which is it's own party (Linux Distro) ?

Thanks again
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

The rpmforge repository is trusted by Fedora.
But that doesn't say that the Vbox version there is supported by Oracle or in this forum ;)
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

One last question so I may be able know for next time. Why of all of a sudden the previous VirtualBox stopped working with errors? Is it because I may have updated the kernel, and VirtualBox did not have an upgrade to that kernel version?
Why it happened all of a sudden is as I said usually due to a kernel update. VirtualBox doesn't really know about your kernel only that you can not compile the VirtualBox kernel modules and the kernel driver (vboxdrv) will not load. It is the responsibility of the host OS to keep these updated and running but will fail if the kernel updates and the headers don't. You can install DKMS in the host and that will keep all the headers and dev. modules up to date when ever the kernel updates. Now repo versions don't usually require this and even in some cases they don't require some of the dependencies because the pre-compile it and don't list the dependencies in the build. Usually not a good thing to do and will cause issues like you have seen.