console installation and remote access

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
macro

console installation and remote access

Post by macro »

I would like to install VirtualBox on a Linux host running with only a console interface. Then, when it has been installed, I want to install a Linux guest which has a GUI and can be accessed remotely from another machine on the same LAN. Can this be done, and, if so, can someone point me to an instruction for doing so. Thanks.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: console installation and remote access

Post by Perryg »

Install as normal using CLI but put the tag --nox11 at the end.

This is the instructions (in your VirtualBox manual) explaining how to use VBoxManage to create a guest.
http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch07.html#idp19539760

There is a lot more information in the manual that will guide you as well.
macro

Post by macro »

thanks for the pointers. :)
macro

Post by macro »

"...There is a lot more information in the manual that will guide you as well"

This was helpful, and I have it installed and running now. I am having one problem with the mouse pointer synchronization when I move it around the screen. The position of the pointer appearing on the desktop for the remote machine is not aligned with the position of it on my monitor, and as I move it around on my monitor, it appears as if I were dragging it with an elastic tether between them, but they never line up together. This makes it nearly impossible to work with, and in some cases I cannot get it positioned properly at all over some controls.

This problem occurs whether I use the actual mouse-pad of local machine, a laptop, or I use a mouse attached to it with usb connection. I have been looking around for some troubleshooting steps in relation to this sort of issue, but so far nothing has showed up. I need to get this problem fixed first so that I can move on to fine-tuning my other settings. Any ideas would be welcome.
noteirak
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Debian, Win 2k8, Win 7

Post by noteirak »

Changing the Mouse mode to USB Tablet always fixed this for me. You might want to us vboxmanage modifyvm to do this if you're only using the GUI usually.
Hyperbox - Virtual Infrastructure Manager - https://apps.kamax.lu/hyperbox/
Manage your VirtualBox infrastructure the free way!
macro

Post by macro »

Thanks for the suggestion. Changing it to USB Tablet has helped quite a bit for sure, but not completely. I can describe the condition now as having shortened the tether between them and reduced the amount of drag that appears as I move the pointer around, especially if I move it slowly rather than at a normal speed. The pointers do come together when I stop it finally, and this at least allows me to manipulate the controls better, though slowly. This situation is a big improvement but not yet acceptable effectively.