SOLVED - USB wireless mouse problem in Virtualbox

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
startling

Post by startling »

I installed Virtualbox on Ubuntu Feisty and am very impressed, but I have one snag.

At first my USB wireless mouse wasn't recognised at all in my XP VM. So in Virtualbox's settings, under USB, I found a section named USB device filters and added the device. The mouse now worked in Xp but, when I switch back to my Ubuntu host, the keyboard is released but not the mouse which seems to have hung (the pointer stays static on the screen). I tried changing the Remote setting from No to Any (I'm not sure what that setting means) but it did not make any difference - the mouse still froze.

From an Ubuntu terminal, if I do a
sudo modprobe -r usbmouse
followed by a
sudo modprobe usbmouse

then the mouse comes back to life, but this is a clunky way to do it!

I'd be grateful for suggestions as to a permanent fix.
Last edited by startling on 2. Apr 2008, 11:47, edited 1 time in total.
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

Duh, of course it doesn't work. You hook an usb device to the VM, that stays there untill you remove it. Your mouse doesn't act as a normal mouse, but as an USB device. If you install the GA, then you have mouse integration, but any additional button on the mouse like back and forward won't work. Unless you, as you already did, grab the usb port where the mouse is on. If you want to resume with your mouse in the Host, then use the VB menu to disconnect the USB mouse from the VM.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
startling

Post by startling »

Thanks for your response Sasquatch. I installed the GA but then the mouse went crazy! It looked like it was clicking every millisecond, even though I was not pressing any buttons, which was setting all sorts of things off before I realised what was happening! Not good.

Even though I then un-installed the GA from the guest, it was still there in VB and I couldn't see a way to uninstall it from VB itself.
Sasquatch wrote: If you want to resume with your mouse in the Host, then use the VB menu to disconnect the USB mouse from the VM.
Ah, but without a mouse in the host I cannot do that! I press Right-Ctrl to release the keboard, and then press Alt-D to try and manually access the menu but it does not work properly as it does in my other Gnome windows. It seems the Alt key for accessing menus is broken in VB.
Sasquatch
Volunteer

Post by Sasquatch »

The Alt key isn't used to access those menu items, the Host key is used. If you use Host+Home, then you can access that menu. It is written in the manual and if you switch to either fullscreen and seamless mode, that you can use Host+Home to access the menu.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.

startling

Post by startling »

Thanks again, Sasquatch. I was reading the manual (from http://www.virtualbox.org/download/UserManual.pdf) this morning but couldn't find any reference to that.

I wonder if the problem I'm having with mouse under GA is to do with the Logitech drivers I installed. I'll check.
startling

Post by startling »

UPDATE - As I thought: it was the Logitech drivers causing the problem. I uninstalled those from the guest machine and the mouse under GA now works seamlessly and perfectly well.

Thanks again Sasquatch!
Sasquatch
Volunteer

Post by Sasquatch »

I had an idea that wouldn't work. Two drivers for the same device never go along. Glad it's solved.

Ps, you should check all my posts some day, there are a lot of problems I solved ;). Really, I'm here for just two weeks and I already have the highest post count per day :P (I think).

rob19841

Re: SOLVED - USB wireless mouse problem in Virtualbox

Post by rob19841 »

Im also having a problem with the keyboard and mouse. i have windows 7 professional on my vm. i want to use a dedicated keyboard and mouse(logitech AIO) on my windows 7 vm. Ive installed guest additions inside the vm. ive unchecked mouse integration, ive added a usb filter. i can't figure it out. or find any solved issues with this. the vm will give me a notification sound that it is connected, ive even watched it appear in device manger as a usb composite device but the mouse and keyboard AIO acts as if it never connected. i had this working before on a different version of windows and whenever i moved the mouse or typed it would show a blinking dot next to the usb icon on the bottom right, but this time it shows no activity. also once i connect it to the guest machine i cant use it in the host, which is how i want it to be, accept i want the cursor to show up and the keyboard to type. (ive seen people saying in other posts that they cant see the cursor but they know its there because it can click applications and highlight , then they end up unchecking mouse integration and the cursor appears.this does not happen for me. ive tried every single way to make this happen.....i need some help please. also im brand new here so if i need to post somewhere else please dont hold it against me. i couldnt figure out how to start a new post...sorry