VBoxManage storeageattach error

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
tagman

VBoxManage storeageattach error

Post by tagman »

Hello

I am running VirtualBox ver 4.1.8 r75467 on an Ubuntu 10.04.2 server. When I try to do the following command I keep running into a problem:

VBoxManage storageattach Machinename --storagectl "SATA Controller" --port 0 --type hdd --medium iscsi
--server xx.xx.x.xx --target iSCSI address --tport 3260

when I run the command I keep getting an error:
VBoxManage: Error: Invalid parameter 'Controller'

The name of the controller in the vm that I created is SATA Controller. It shows up in the VBoxManage showvminfo for the vm. If I do a storagectl to put in the SATA, it will tell me there are already a device of this type. If I remove Controller, the error message is the same, only saying 'SATA' instead.

What do I need to do to get around this problem?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: VBoxManage storeageattach error

Post by mpack »

I don't see anything wrong with what you are doing, syntax wise. At first blush it looks like VirtualBox is not honoring the quote chars around the controller name.

I would be tempted to try editing the .vbox file manually. I.e. make sure VBox is shut down, then edit the <StorageController> line for the SATA controller, changing its name to something that doesn't include any spaces or special chars - lets say name="StorageCtl". Then I would try the command again, using the simpler name. As long as the type remains "AHCI" then it should still be recognized as a SATA controller.

Let me know how it goes. I'll raise a ticket for it if we can confirm the problem.
tagman

Post by tagman »

Changed the controller name to StorageCtl, changed line in the command to read --storagectl "StorageCtl", got error message:
VBoxManage: error: Could not find a controller named ' "StorageCtl"'
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

So problem not confirmed.

Well, I'm stumped. Looks like you'll have to raise a ticket for this in BugTracker. Remember to include a link to this discussion in the bug description. If you haven't used BugTracker before, it's a separate system but the login is with your OSSO account, like here. You'll have to give yourself a nickname for that system on first login. Of course it's easier to understand who posted it if you use the same nickname as here.
klaus
Oracle Corporation

Post by klaus »

This cannot be a VBoxManage bug. The shell is responsible for handling the quotes, and pass things as one parameter. I guess that you're using some strange unicode quotes, and not the normal ASCII single or double quotes. This means that your interpretation and what the shell actually does is different.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

klaus wrote:I guess that you're using some strange unicode quotes
I thought of that, but if I edit his message and search for the normal " character, it finds his quotes. So, either he used normal quotes or something replaces them with normal quotes somewhere along the path from he to me. - or else Firefox's string search box treats all quotes as equal, which I find unlikely.

In any case, I assume that his 2nd attempt with the replacement name (no spaces) did not use quotes, but he still got the same error. That is what stumped me.
tagman

Post by tagman »

After reading your replies, I tried a different tact. I used the name StorageCtl, without quotes. It worked. I had used quotes (which I showed in my reply) because that is how the storage controller is designated in the command. Thanks for all the help.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I see. In that case the issue is exactly what Klaus said.
Steve Meckstroth

Post by Steve Meckstroth »

I recognize this is a very old post, but it was the one I found when I googled the error message.

For me it was an issue with copying/pasting command lines from the internet. Once I manually typed the command it worked fine. My guess for this is the encoding, but I didn't investigate it any further once it just worked.