[Solved] vboxdrv.ko): Invalid module format

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: vboxdrv.ko): Invalid module format

Post by Perryg »

The only way I can see this working is if you compile VirtualBox yourself since the pre-compiled versions are going to ask for specific things that you are not going to have.
Wayne Sallee
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Win 3.1, Win 8, and many more

Post by Wayne Sallee »

Perryg wrote:Now looking at your list above, do you see anything that resembles this in the form of a header?
If you are asking me if I have any rpm headers listed in the above rpm list,, for 3.2.7, the answer is no, as I had stated, there are no rpm headers for the kernels I'm building from kernel.org. But the kernels from kernel.org have all of the header information, and if built properly the headers will be there and available.

So how can I check to make sure that I do have the headers installed?

Wayne Sallee
Wayne@WayneSallee.com
Wayne Sallee

Post by Wayne Sallee »

Perryg wrote:The only way I can see this working is if you compile VirtualBox yourself since the pre-compiled versions are going to ask for specific things that you are not going to have.
Are you saying that a virtualbox rpm from virtualbox.org is not going to work on a kernel built from kernel.org?

Wayne Sallee
Wayne@WayneSallee.com
Perryg
Site Moderator
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

I am saying that unless you can fulfil the requirements that are needed to install the pre-compiled version it is not going to install AFAIK.
Even when I compile from source I still need the headers that match my kernel. Since you compiled the kernel yourself you should know where to find the headers. Usually they are packaged inside the source. You need to find out what to do to get them usable. Have you asked kernel.org how you obtain the headers or otherwise make them available to the OS to be able to build external kernel modules?
Wayne Sallee

Post by Wayne Sallee »

Perryg wrote:Have you asked kernel.org how you obtain the headers or otherwise make them available to the OS to be able to build external kernel modules?
Yes I have (linux.com which is at kernel.org), and at several other forums, but still not solved after over half a year.

I even e-mailed Linus himself, but no response.

Wayne Sallee
Wayne@WayneSallee.com
Wayne Sallee

Post by Wayne Sallee »

I got it working !!!!!!!!!!

Real simple.

Code: Select all

modprobe -f vboxdrv
Maybe in time I'll find out what I can do so that I don't have to use the force option, but I'm a happy camper now.

Wayne Sallee
Wayne@WayneSallee.com