Shared clipboard has garbled text?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
onero

Shared clipboard has garbled text?

Post by onero »

I just upgraded to 1.4.0, and it's great! I like this version a lot. I just have a minor problem ... I enabled the shared clipboard to be Bidirectional for my Windows guest. It works if I copy text from my Windows guest to my Ubuntu host, but when I copy text on my host and then try to paste it in my Windows guest, I get garbled text.

It's the same whatever program I try to paste to (Word, Firefox, etc.). It's probably just an encoding problem, but what would I need to change? Any ideas? Thanks!
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

Are you using 64bit Ubuntu? If so, this problem should be fixed in the next release of VirtualBox.
plenque

Post by plenque »

Same problem here, with a 32bit Ubuntu Feisty...

Regards,
Mauro.
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

Those who are experiencing clipboard problems might want to try with the next version of VirtualBox, which is due to be released in a couple of weeks, since a number of clipboard fixes have gone in.
jimmarch

Post by jimmarch »

Michael: sorry to interrupt this thread but we REALLY need a way to kill mouse integration. In a lot of cases it doesn't work...I've tried multiple Ubuntu flavors, multiple Windows flavors (XP, 2000) and multiple video cards. The Windows guest ALWAYS ends up with an invisible mouse until mouse integration is turned off.

I need to be able to support very low-grade end users with this stuff, who inevitably forget my instruction to manually kill mouse integration, and they report a "crash". This is the only thing stopping live use for me.

PLEASE let me know how to make "no mouse integration" the default startup state on a Windows guest VM under Ubuntu. Worst case, in the next release, allow setting of this for a VM prior to starting/running the Windows guest VM.
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

Never seen that yet with a Windows guest. If you really want not to have mouse integration, you can just use the VM without guest additions. Could the problem be that you are not using up-to-date guest additions, or that you are trying to change the driver setup inside the guest after installing the additions? After installing the additions, you shouldn't need to make any driver changes, other than possibly installing drivers for USB devices.
jimmarch

Post by jimmarch »

Brand new set of guest additions. And again: I've tried both ATI and Intel video card based laptops so...I'm thinking this may be something Ubuntu-specific?

I'm about to upgrade to Gutsy Alpha 5, it has a whole new video driver stack and just maybe that will fix it.
jimmarch

Post by jimmarch »

Michael:

I don't mean to be a jerk but...I just loaded Ubuntu Gutsy (alpha #5) and it's got a TOTALLY different video stack. If any video/X components aren't changed from Feisty I'd be very surprised.

I get the same error.

So...if you haven't seen mouse integration go all Chernobyl yet...ummmm...are you guys testing this stuff?

Sorry, but...I'm seeing this on every setup I try.

So...if you're unable to do QA on mouse integration, it would be a MAJOR help to give us the ability to kill it before even starting the VM. We can live without it, in fact there's advantages in "user perception" to dealing with this stuff as "OK, now I'm in Linux, and now I'm in Windows".

Breaking the entire app on startup (and leaving non-geek users thinking their only option is a cold boot!) to support something not mission critical and in some cases not even welcome is...pretty bad, m'kay?