Rename .vdi File

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
frogissam
Primary OS: Ubuntu 8.10
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 8.04 & 8.10

Rename .vdi File

Post by frogissam »

I have both Ubuntu 11.04 & 11.10 in my VirtualBox. Because I chose to upgrade Ubuntu 11.04 to 11.10, I can no longer use the the original 11.04 because the 11.10 folder has Ubuntu 11.04 .vdi file. Is there any way I can rename this file to Ubuntu 11.10 so the system will work?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Rename .vdi File

Post by mpack »

Clone the vdi using the VirtualBox Media Manager, then rename the clone for use in a new VM.

If you really want to rename the VDI file, release and remove it from VirtualBox (using Media Manager again), rename it to whatever you like, using host OS, then mount it again inside the VM that needs it. DO NOT DO THIS IF THE VM USES SNAPSHOTS (OR ENCRYPTION).
Last edited by mpack on 15. Jun 2016, 13:06, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Add encryption warning.
mrbios
Primary OS: MS Windows 8.1
Guest OSses: Windows 7, Windows 2003, XP, Mint, CentOS,

Post by mrbios »

To be safe consider backing up the VM to a different drive. Or test the theory on a separate PC with a small test vm any OS should work.

My OS: Windows 8 64bit edition...
VBOX version VirtualBox-5.0.32-112930-Win.exe

Multiple methods:
1. Shutdown the VM if it is running. Remove the VM from the list by right clicking on the VM and click Remove (do not click Delete files). Rename the vdi file and add a new entry for that VM file and choose existing hard drive file and point to the renamed file. Note: when I setup the VM I got an error and clicked advanced and it worked. It's a little quirky.

if all else fails

2. Change the UUID then RENAME the file, then set up a new VM but choose Existing File and point to the existing renamed vdi file.
Sample command: C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBoxVBOXMANAGE.EXE internalcommands sethduuid "C:\FullPathTo\The Virtual Machine You Wish To Rename.vdi"

TIP: long file and path names can easily get mistyped - consider making a shortcut to the vdi file, right click and choose properties and highlight the entire file and path with the quotes and paste that into word or notepad. Once the entire command looks right open a cmd window with admin rights and paste the entire command.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Any particular reason to wake up this thread from the dead? With a convoluted solution that doesn't cover as many cases as the original reply?

The solution as stated is rather simple. Release the HD from the VM. Rename HD in your OS. Re-attach the renamed HD. No need for "internalcommands", as they can change without warning...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Perhaps Mrbios should open a topic to discuss his own problem, then we may discover why he apparantly failed with the more obvious solutions.
WFV
Primary OS: Linux other
Guest OSses: ArchLinux; Fedora; Ubuntu; Win7pro64; WinXP

Post by WFV »

socratis wrote:Any particular reason to wake up this thread from the dead?
not to mention, this is the forum for Linux Hosts...
by mrbios » 16. Mar 2017, 07:05

My OS: Windows 8 64bit edition...
VBOX version VirtualBox-5.0.32-112930-Win.exe
vbuserm

Post by vbuserm »

So I went through the trouble of creating an account to note that mrbios' solution worked for me due to the unhelpful level of snark from wfv, socratis and mpack. Unfortunately for you folks, there are situations where needing to change the udid of the drive (in the cases of cloning) is actually required.

@socratis - given that any commands can change without warning (But probably won't), and they're documented - what is the issue? It solves a problem the GUI cannot.
@mpart - perhaps you should reconsider how useful your comments (esp as a mod). Your role should be to facilitate discussion and determine a solution. Edge cases occur all the time.
@wfv - you're totally right. The mods should start by removing themselves as they use Mac and Windows. Also - never hit the command line on a Mac eh?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

vbuserm wrote:unhelpful level of snark
Really? Is that how you choose to say "Hi everyone"? Interesting...
vbuserm wrote:what is the issue? It solves a problem the GUI cannot.
No, it didn't. It complicated an issue where there no complicated steps were required. It's simple if you read the thread. Oh, and by the time you decided to join the conversation, the GUI had actually gotten that capability. You're welcome...
vbuserm wrote:there are situations where needing to change the udid of the drive (in the cases of cloning) is actually required.
1) this is not what we were talking about, was it? 2) if your situation is different, do not hijack another user's thread, start your own.
vbuserm wrote:@mpart
BTW, it's "mpack", not "mpart". You should copy/paste if you can't simply copy users' nicknames. And I honestly don't see where his comments were not that useful. That doesn't go without saying for everyone on the other hand...
vbuserm wrote:The mods should start by removing themselves as they use Mac and Windows. Also - never hit the command line on a Mac eh?
Seriously now? Really? 1) we should remove ourselves from what? Moderating, commenting or both? Because we don't use Linux? Oh, and somebody should tell Linus to stop using a Mac after all...

Look, there's a name for people that just register to pour vitriol; troll. You didn't start on the right foot, don't continue like that... I don't want to ban you for 3-4 years until your 16th birthday...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.