vboxnet0 interface does not get IP address assigned

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
miskho
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: none yet

vboxnet0 interface does not get IP address assigned

Post by miskho »

Hi everyone,

I'm using Virtualbox 4.1.2 64-bit on Ubuntu 11.04 Server. I need host-only networking to be available for my virtual machines. I have configured Virtualbox to use it via File -> Preferences -> Network -> Host-only networks and it has created a virtual interface and assigned an IP to it for the first time. However, later
I was playing around with this setting and removed and added back the interface a few times (all using Virtualbox GUI). I did this because I wanted to try if I could change the interface name to something else (Now I know I can't).

After this when I had the host-only networking configured the interface was visible in my system when querying for it via "ifconfig -a" but no IP address was assigned to it. I have tried to stop the Virtualbox, uninstall it via "apt-get --purge remove virtualbox-4.1", then reboot the machine and install it again (via dpkg -i ) but I did not manage to make virtualbox assign an IP address to this interface anymore.

Do you have a clue why this is happening? I also tried to delete everything in "~/.Virualbox" after uninstalling the VB to make sure no wrong config was left on disk but it did not help.

I also tried to install VB on a different machine where it worked to observe what VB has actually configured but I could see there was no change to
/etc/network/interfaces, no /etc/vbox/interfaces file, simply I could find nothing. Do you know of a way to configure the host-only networking by hand?
Or in other words, to configure everything what VB would do if it had worked correctly?

Help is very much appreciated!
Regards,
Miso
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Re: vboxnet0 interface does not get IP address assigned

Post by Sasquatch »

The interface is configured when a VM set to use Host-Only. Until such a VM is started, the interface is not configured.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.