Restore saved state, after kernel update (solved)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
cahyde

Restore saved state, after kernel update (solved)

Post by cahyde »

EDIT: This is on Kubuntu Feisty

I am trying to boot an image (from saved state). Everything worked fine until I allowed a kernel update to 2.6.20-16.29 (I used 2.6.20-16.28 prior to this and it worked just fine).

I now get the following error trying to access the VDI:
PIIX3 cannot attach drive to the Secondary Master.
VBox status code: -102 (VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND).

Result Code:
0x80004005
Component:
Console
Interface:
IConsole {1dea5c4b-0753-4193-b909-22330f64ec45}
I've tried almost everything I could think of...I can't find a way to revert back to the .28 kernel version. I have NOT yet tried to "discard" the saved state...what would that do to the data in the virtual image? Obviously, anything that was "unsaved" inside there I assume would be toast, but I know that there was NOTHING "unsaved" (I save everything prior to closing out of the image), so that's not an issue for me. I just want to make sure that performing the "discard" will NOT break anything else, or LOSE anything else.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Chris

P.S. - everything I can find points to this being a problem with the CD ROM drive configuration/permissions/whatever. It appears that the kernel update to .29 changed the "mapping" of drives again (my cdrom is now /dev/scd0 ). I believe the drive-mapping change is the actual culprit, but being a relative VirtualBox newbie, I'm not 100% sure.
Last edited by cahyde on 11. Jun 2007, 23:05, edited 1 time in total.
cahyde

SOLVED

Post by cahyde »

Ok, I figured out how to get back into my image.

I discarded the saved state (while holding my breath) then went into Settings and changed the mapping for the CD ROM drive. Clicked "start", and voila!

Hope this helps someone else...

Thanks,
Chris
steven8

Post by steven8 »

Funny, I was just about to post what I did on Ubuntu Feisty. After a kernel upgrade, all of a sudden the VirtualBox kernel 'didn't exist' anymore, according to the program. I tried rebuilding it via the instructions in the error dialog, but no go. So, I uninstalled via Automatix (as I installed from), then reinstalled via Automatix, and voila!, the image was still right there and ran just fine.