VERR_CFGM_NOT_ENOUGH_SPACE

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
platforms
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: Linux

VERR_CFGM_NOT_ENOUGH_SPACE

Post by platforms »

Getting this error message when attempting to start an imported VM.
Error: failed to start machine. Error message: Configuration error: Failed to get the "Trunk" value (VERR_CFGM_NOT_ENOUGH_SPACE).
Failed to attach the network LUN (VERR_CFGM_NOT_ENOUGH_SPACE).
Unknown error creating VM (VERR_CFGM_NOT_ENOUGH_SPACE)
Any suggestions?

Background:
CentOS Host Machine
Ubuntu Guest Machine
VBox 4.0.6
Headless

Import was fine, error free. I can manage, edit, whatever the VM but cannot start it.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: VERR_CFGM_NOT_ENOUGH_SPACE

Post by Perryg »

http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&p=185762

There seems to be something in the config that is not right.
From the hosts terminal/command window type VBoxManage showvminfo <VM Name> --details and post here. Replace <VM Name> with the actual name of the VM. Use "" if the name has a space in it.

Note if the host is Windows you need to be in the directory that has VBoxManage.exe for the command to work.
platforms
Guest OSses: Linux

Post by platforms »

Yeah I saw that forum post as well. Unfortunately there was no real concise solution. I do think I managed to solve this. It appears this particular error is generated when the imported VM details do not map up with the new host machine details as far as network interface types, bridge/nat configuration, disk, etc.

My imported VM was using bridged networking with a --nictype that did not match up with what was available on the new host machine. I believe this to be the cause of the 'network LUN' error. I ran 'modifyvm' against this VM and changed the nic settings and bridged interface settings. The imported image also had a disk device attached to a SATA storage controller that would not match up on the new host. I detached the disk, disabled the SATA controller, re-attached disk to IDE controller. I believe this was the source of the 'Trunk' error.

Hope this helps someone else in the future!
Francewhoa
Primary OS: Debian Wheezy
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Debian

Post by Francewhoa »

We were facing the same challenge here. In our case the resolution was simply a shorter VM name. For those not familiar with the name, steps:
  1. Shut down the VM
  2. Rename the VM to a shorter name. The field is located at "Settings" > "General" > "Basic" > "Name".
  3. Start the VM
The cause of the challenge was the "Name" was too long. But somehow Virtualmin does not warn about this during or after VM upgrade or import. 39 characters or less with space works. We haven't yet tested with more.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Maybe it's not VirtualBox that has the problem, but the host and/or the underlying filesystem. I don't know, haven't looked at the source code.

BTW, you *did* notice the age of the thread, right? Please don't do it again, let the zombies sleep...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.