4.0.6 Java API on Linux Mint 10

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
stonevacuous
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: windows xp

4.0.6 Java API on Linux Mint 10

Post by stonevacuous »

Not sure if this is the right forum to ask but seems the best choice.

I recently installed fresh Linux Mint 10 and VirtualBox 4.0.6 on my computer. I tried to program with the Java API provided in the package (vboxjxpcom.jar) and do some VM automation. However, I have problem when I call IConsole.powerup(). The error message says

Code: Select all

VirtualBox kernel driver not accessible, permission problem. Re-install VirtualBox. If you are building it yourself, you should make sure it installed correctly and that the setuid bit is set on the executables calling VMR3Create. (VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_ACCESSIBLE)
I run the Java program with sudo and it works without any hiccup. I checked the /dev/vboxdrv and it's permission is 660 with owner "root" and group "vboxusers" while my account is in group "vboxusers". Also I have no problem powering up VMs with either GUI or VBoxManage command line (with normal user privilege of course).

I am aware that there's plenty of workaround I can do to avoid this problem like using python instead of Java or calling the VBoxManage inside the Java program. I am just wondering if I did something wrong to cause this problem. If anyone can point any direction to look into it will be very appreciated.