Guest OS doesn't support mouse pointer integration

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
laredotornado
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Windows 7

Guest OS doesn't support mouse pointer integration

Post by laredotornado »

Hi, I'm using Virtual Box 4.0.6, host OS = Ubuntu 11.04, guest = Windows XP. I installed the guest additions but I'm still getting the warning message when I start my WinXP instance

Code: Select all

The Virtual Machine reports that the guest OS does not support mouse pointer integration in the current video mode.  You need to capture the mouse (by clicking over the VM display or pressing the host key) in order to use the mouse inside the guest OS.
However, the guest OS does capture the mouse and I'm able to move the mouse outside the VirtualBox to my Linux desktop (without clicking the right Ctrl button). So my question is, is there something else wrong or something else i need to enable?

Thanks, - Dave
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Re: Guest OS doesn't support mouse pointer integration

Post by Sasquatch »

That message can appear during VM boot, as the GA aren't loaded yet. If you have installed the GA, make sure that the Absolute Pointing Device is turned off in the VM settings. That too provides seamless mouse experience, but in a different way (it doesn't work perfect though, unlike the GA).
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
Tina O

Post by Tina O »

Just change the screen resolution to smaller size and the mouse will work. I know this does not make sense but it works. View >Virtual Screen 1 > 100% and wa la my mouse was pointing to the right place again.

My mouse was there but it where the pointer was showing was like an inch below where it was actually clicking. So wierd. But once I changed the virtual screen resolution to just 100% the mouse issue was gone. Took me hours to find out the mouse was somehow affected by the monitor size I had set at 1920x1200px for months before with no problems in earlier versions of VM, just happened when my company updated my machine's VM software to versions after 7.0.
so easy a fix but a goose chase to diagnose!
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

This is probably tied for the 12 year record for oldest necropost. :lol:

Upgrading to 7.0.something may be more likely the problem rather than the screen size, since Tina reports everything was working until 7.0 got rolled out.

Tina, if you wish to diagnose further or run into any more problems, please start a new topic.