Some advice needed!!

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
manimal29
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE Fedora
Guest OSses: Windows 7

Some advice needed!!

Post by manimal29 »

I have a rather odd situation that I need advice about. I have a Intel based machine that is running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. On that machine, I am running VMware Workstation 7. I have created a virtual machine in VMware that is a 64 bit version of Scientific Linux 6 (Basically RedHat 6). On the virtual machine, I have installed Virtualbox 4.0.6 . I am attempting to create a virtual machine with Virtualbox that is Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit ON the virtual machine that is Scientific Linux 6. The files begin to load fine when I power it up and point to the media, but then it abruptly stops and says that I do not have a compatible 64 bit processor. The reason that I am doing all of this nesting is that I want to try Virtualbox with the intent of getting rid of VMware. Is there a way to specify that the processor assigned is 64 bit? Is the "nesting" an impossible situation to configure? The processor of the bare metal hardware is I7 950. Any/all help is GREATLY appreciated!
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Re: Some advice needed!!

Post by stefan.becker »

VBOX in VBOX/VMWARE is not supported and does not work.
8bitpaul

Post by 8bitpaul »

This thread is 6 years old and I figured I would ask if this has changed. Can you now run VBox on VMWare?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Nested virtualization (virtual machine in a virtual machine) is still not supported.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

And I can't see why it ever would be, unless there's a business case for it (i.e. a way for Oracle to make money).
VM-F4n[2]

Post by VM-F4n[2] »

socratis wrote:Nested virtualization (virtual machine in a virtual machine) is still not supported.
Hope this feature comes soon!
Here i found a ticket for this whish (from 8 years ago!!!):
https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/4032
Wer sich trotz Hilfe nicht bedankt, den sperre ich damit ich künftig weiß, dass ich demjenigen keine Hilfestellung mehr gebe!
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

mpack wrote:And I can't see why it ever would be, unless there's a business case for it (i.e. a way for Oracle to make money).
People using the free version can post all the tickets they like. It aint gonna happen unless there's a business case for it. It may seem otherwise, but Oracle is not running a charity.
VM-F4n[2]

Post by VM-F4n[2] »

Maybe :roll: , but in feature then i've to change the software, because i will need this. :oops:

Ohh and i think Oracles VirtualBox will be used in business cases too (if nested virtualization is not needed)! :wink:
Wer sich trotz Hilfe nicht bedankt, den sperre ich damit ich künftig weiß, dass ich demjenigen keine Hilfestellung mehr gebe!
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

If you have a genuine business case (not just a personal wish), then I suggest you approach Oracle and offer to buy ten VirtualBox support licenses. That would cost you around $50K and might convince the Oracle devs that they have a business case for it too. If you're just another "me wantee" with no money then ==> there's the door.
Milenko

Post by Milenko »

How much would cost one VB license for start up?
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

A support license costs $50 per seat, 100 seat minimum.