.vdi no longer opens in VirtualBox 1.4

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Corwin

.vdi no longer opens in VirtualBox 1.4

Post by Corwin »

I had a running vista.vdi on my debian machine. I upgraded from VirtualBox 1.3.8 to 1.4, recompiled the kernel module, and now all the buttons are greyed out except new. Under the Virtual Disk Manager it shows my vdi file having 21.19GB Virtual Size and 6.96 actual size. Both Attached to: and Snapshot: = '--'. If I go to Machine -> Show Log, I get a segmentation fault.

I believe the permissions are correct, and no error messages occur on the STD out. I just started using VirtualBox. Does every upgrade normally brake the image files? Is it possible to patch the image files or should I downgrade my copy of VirtualBox? It would sure be nice to have VirtualBox acknowledge my .vdi image file.

Thanks!
Michael Bushey
klaus
Oracle Corporation

Post by klaus »

That segmentation fault is a small bug when there is no log file. Which shouldn't affect the normal operation. And since the virtual and actual size values of the VDI are very plausible for a Vista guest, everything seems OK (except that bug when trying to view a non-existent log file). I have no idea why the buttons are greyed out after the upgrade. Even trouble with the kernel module leaves those buttons usable.