Install VBox 4.0.0 on Ubuntu server 10.10 32bit

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
fixedwheel
Volunteer

Re: Install VBox 4.0.0 on Ubuntu server 10.10 32bit

Post by fixedwheel »

jdbower wrote:I find it infinitely easier to create a new machine via the GUI. I think this is all you'll need for a minimal GUI install,
+1

and as xrdp package from Ubuntu Maverick repo now has a functional version you could simply connect to the host with any RDP client, no special config needed ... see my previous post => http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic. ... 02#p168338
williamx
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Ubuntu 10.10

Post by williamx »

Perryg wrote:NIC 1: MAC: 0800278A9BEC, Attachment: Host-only In
VRDE: enabled (Address 192.168.1.72, Ports 5000,

Normally the host-only address range is 192.168.56.*

Did you set this manually too? I thought you said you set it to Bridged mode as well.
Then I download and install Vbox. When installing it I get a message for missing dependencies so I use
Wrong decision. You should have used the --nox11 switch at the end of the install command.

From the looks of it you might want to stick with the GUI instead of headless until you learn more about VirtualBox, Linux, and networking. Not criticizing you so don't get me wrong. But if this is important to you it will be a lot faster for you, unless you are doing this to learn.
yes I set this manually the thing is that I tried with first with Nic1 set to nat then to bridged and then to host only when I get the statistics it was set to host only but now i changed it back to bridged.

Thanks for your help and advice and I know what you mean but I don need it I am just learning how to use and configure VBox as headless, On the other side I have an associate degree as a Computer Network Engineer, I am also CompTIA N+, A+, MCP, and Cisco CCNA certified, i just haven't use VBox without a GUI that is why i'm here, also I am a fan of Linux not an Expert but a good fan.
If you aren't in the path to become who you want to be, Then you are in the path to become who you don't want to be!!!
williamx

Post by williamx »

I forget to mention that I use the --nox11 switch at the end of the installation line and i get an error so I decide to do the other way but I can try again like you say. I just have to do a clean installation again.
If you aren't in the path to become who you want to be, Then you are in the path to become who you don't want to be!!!
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Understood. If you follow Chapter 7.1.3. Step by step: creating a virtual machine on a headless server set-by-step you should be able to create this. I know I have done it this way several times although it failed for me at first due to syntax errors I inserted. But since I figured it all out I do this maybe once a month now at various locations. Think the steps through of what they are really doing and I bet you get it.

Here it is cut down with only the steps.

Headless install (access host via ssh or terminal if you are doing this local) Replace names as required. Remember what you are doing is building a virtual computer with virtual parts.
  • 1. VBoxManage createvm --name "Windows XP" --ostype WindowsXP --register
    2. VBoxManage modifyvm "Windows XP" --memory 256 --acpi on --boot1 dvd --nic1 nat
    3. VBoxManage createhd --filename "WinXP.vdi" --size 10000 --remember
    4. VBoxManage storagectl "Windows XP" --name "IDE Controller" --add ide --controller PIIX4
    5. VBoxManage storageattach "Windows XP" --storagectl "IDE Controller" --port 0 --device 0 --type hdd --medium "WinXP.vdi"
    6. VBoxManage openmedium dvd /full/path/to/<iso>.iso
    7. VBoxManage storageattach "Windows XP" --storagectl "IDE Controller" --port 0 --device 1 --type dvddrive --medium /full/path/to/<iso>.iso *
    8. VBoxHeadless --startvm "Windows XP"
For a real CD/DVD VBoxManage storageattach "Windows XP" --storagectl "IDE Controller" --port 0 --device 1 --type dvddrive --medium Host:/dev/sr0 *

Edit: I just saw your reply as I was previewing my reply.
You may not need to go that far as to start over. I think at one time I went the route you did, can't be sure though since it has been so long ago, but try deleting the guest and starting over there first.
williamx

Post by williamx »

Thanks for your replay. I unistall virtualbox and reinstall it. Following all the instruction on the manual (note I havent any issue with the installation since my first try that I didn't install dkms and the headers). However the problem is when I try to RDP into the VM to finish guest installation. I think it is a firewall issue.

I am using as host os Ubuntu server 10.10LTS (without GUI), I have openSSH server installed, the virtualbox version that I have installed is 4.0.0
Now i created a new VM ,this time the guest is Windows XP Home. everithing is fine and when I enter "VBoxHeadless -s WinXP" it shows the copyrigth (sing that the VM is runing). The "VBoxManage showvminfo WinXp --details" shows that the VM is runing, vrde is on, listening to port 5002, vrde is in bridged mode and the bridgedaddapter1 is my eth0 NIC. The problem to RDP the machine still an issue and I think that is because Ubuntu has por 5002 closed.

I installed nmap to scan my host to find open ports and this is the results

nmap 127.0.0.1
notshowing 999 closed ports
port 22 open ssh

it is ok for port 22 to be open since i have installed openSSH server.

nmap 127.0.0.1 -p 5002

port 5002 closed
My concern is why port 5002 is closed if i have VRDE server installed and listening to port 5002

I configured the iptables to allow connection to port 5002 but nmap still showing me port 5002 closed I also used ufw -l 5002 but still no changed any idea.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Normally if you are trying to get this to work you use the VRDE that is included in the Extension Pack in version 4.0.0.
For this to work you use either host-only for internal connections or if there is a router in the network you use Bridged.

Now the connection is really made with the host and the VRDE is ported to the guest, so you would remote into the host with the VRDE port that you have assigned to the guest
That would be the hosts ip address see example
Host ip address = 192.168.1.10 so the address to connect to would be 192.168.1.10:5002
williamx

Post by williamx »

Yes i am using a router thats is why I have it configured as bridged, and I am trying to RDP into the guest as you mention ( using the host IP and the guest port for VrDE) in my case will be 192.168.1.69 host IP and 5002 VRDE port for the VM.

Now about the Extension Pack, Does it get installed when I install VBox or I have to install it manually after the VBox install?

I am going to try to connect directly from the server to my laptop without the router. My router has a firewall and even do I open port 5002 it may be bloking it.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Without the ExtPack you will not be able to use VRDE.
How to install Extension Pack
williamx

Post by williamx »

Thanks you for pointing me to the right direction. The problems is now fixed. The link to your post shows how to do it on the GUI, remember that I am using a Linux serve without GUI. However thanks to you I look forward to the right direction and find in the manual how to install the extencion pack using the VBoxManage tool. I kow that like me there are others that already done this and others that wan to do it so I will post how I done this thanks to the help of Perryg.

Once again thank you so much I finally have it working.
kaninus
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: linux

Post by kaninus »

Hi, Perryg,

I am also trying to install VB in ubuntu 10.04 headless without having to install x11 or any other gui packages. I always get the dependencies to stop the install process.

When you say
Wrong decision. You should have used the --nox11 switch at the end of the install command.
What do you mean exactly?
The install command is (in my case) sudo dpkg -i virtualbox-4.1_4.1.8-75467~Ubuntu~lucid_amd64.deb
Adding --nox11 at the end does nothing - generates an additional error.

Am I doing anything wrong?

thanks
Javier