USB problems

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Re: USB problems

Post by Sasquatch »

Everyone, all changes you made to your system to get USB working is not needed. Changing system files without knowing what they are for can damage your system. The only thing needed is group membership of the vboxusers group.

Randomly adding groups that don't exist on default installs is a bad idea.

To make lonewolfs posts obsolete, one should read the manual better, as it says this:
User Manual wrote:If USB is not working on your Linux host, make sure that the current user is a member of the vboxusers group. On older hosts, you need to make sure that the user has permission to access the USB filesystem (usbfs), which VirtualBox relies on to retrieve valid information about your host's USB devices. The rest of this section only applies to those older systems.
The GID '85' he's talking about is in the section that describes OLDER systems. That would mean systems of 2 years and older. I wouldn't call OpenSuSE 11 'old'.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
Roger Norton
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: windows xp sp3

Re: USB problems

Post by Roger Norton »

I am having a similar problem. I have the PUEL version of virtualbox 3.2.10, with ubuntu 10.10 as host and windows xp sp3 as guest. I have added my username to the vboxusers usergroup. Two of my three usb devices (a pendrive and a printer) are not available in the guest, while a third works badly (speakers). 4 devices are listed as active usb devices in virtualbox, but are greyed out, including my webcam, which is not a usb device. Also, access to CD-ROMs is uncertain, and windows xp hangs on restart.

I have tried the suggestions given by lonewohlf42 and hank_se, but these have not worked.

Any suggestions?