VirtualBox VMs crashes the whole machine on SLED10 SP2

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
AndersKOlsson
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: SLES 10

VirtualBox VMs crashes the whole machine on SLED10 SP2

Post by AndersKOlsson »

Hi,

I've been running VirtualBox OSE self-compiled on SLED10 SP1 32-bit Intel C2D and AMD Opteron 221x machines without problems a while. Recently we've upgraded to SLED10 SP2 32-bit around here, and since then I having huge problems with VB. This is only on the Intel machines, btw, the AMDs have no problems. The symptoms are that the Virtual Machines I'm running (SLES10 SP2 64-bit) never finish booting, they just sit and wait somewhere during the kernel initialization process. If I wait long enough, or if I shut the VM instance down, the whole systems goes into an complete halt. The only way back is completely shutting the computer down.

Is anyone else experiencing this? I've confirmed this on multiple machines. I'm currently testing on a HP xw4400 (latest BIOS, 2.06), but have also seen the phenomenon on a Dell Latitude D630 Laptop (latest BIOS, A16).

Looking at the Release Notes of SP2, the support for Xen seems to be one of the bigger changes. I haven't used Xen at all on the machines I'm testing on, and shouldn't the Xen support only be applicable when using the Xen-kernel (ie. when booting a Xen VM)?

I originally used my self-compiled 2.1.4 OSE version, but have also tried self-compiling 3.0.6, and using the PUEL version of 3.0.6. I've always removed the kernel modules in misc/ and rebooted when trying new versions.

My BIOS settings:
VT-x: enabled
NX: enabled

The VMs settings:
OS Type: Linux 2.6 (64 bit)
Base Memory: 512 MB
Video Memory: 8 MB
ACPI: Enabled
IO APIC: Enabled
VT-x/AMD-V: Enabled
Nested Paging: Disabled
PAE/NX: Disabled
3D Acceleration: Disabled

Network Adapters: 3 of varying configurations (Internal Network and Host Interface/Bridged in 3.x) with PCnet-FAST III or PRO/1000 MT Desktop
Serial ports: COM1 Enabled but disconnected

I've changed these around a bit, without noticing any difference, except with enabling PAE/NX, where the machine directly reboots, where it normally would just freeze.

The Kernel version in SLED10 SP2:

Code: Select all

Linux version 2.6.16.60-0.27-bigsmp (geeko@buildhost) (gcc version 4.1.2 20070115 (SUSE Linux)) #1 SMP Mon Jul 28 13:06:32 UTC 2008
vblog.log
Log of typical boot, does not go beyond this point until it crashes.
(37.83 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
samopal
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: win7 32/64b, winxp 32/64b, ubuntu 64bit

Re: VirtualBox VMs crashes the whole machine on SLED10 SP2

Post by samopal »

I know it's 'a bit' old topic, but the symptoms are almost the same to mine:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=45580
have you found any solution or hint?
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

1. Try using Oracle's VBox -- they provide RPMs for SLES.

2. If this doesn't help -- open bug report at Oracle with "blocker" priority. (+post VBox Log there)
samopal
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: win7 32/64b, winxp 32/64b, ubuntu 64bit

Post by samopal »

Technologov wrote:1. Try using Oracle's VBox -- they provide RPMs for SLES.

2. If this doesn't help -- open bug report at Oracle with "blocker" priority. (+post VBox Log there)
I'm using Oracle's binaries, specific for SLES 10, I'll open a bug report, as described in viewtopic.php?f=7&t=45580&p=207089#p207089