PPPoE in guest system

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

Try to follow my steps, but replace all your vbox* adapters with tap* adapters.

Then give me output of:
# brctl show
Ingo
Volunteer

Post by Ingo »

Hi nobodie,
Any time you create a new network connection in Windows it memorizes it in the registry. Even you delete it Windows will not forget it. If you create a new network connection only the LAN number is increased. You have tried it 4 times. In the registry
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Network\{<GUIDs>}
you will find these entries. If you have no network connections you can clean up (delete) this entries, but on your OWN RISK! For me it worked. Afterwards creating a network connection will start with LAN1.
nobodie
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: winxp, pclinux, kubuntu, jolicloud, arch, solaris,

Post by nobodie »

Thanks to both technologov and Ingo for writing back.

Ingo first: I'll see what I can do in the registry, haven't messed with a windoze reg file before, but I am relatively fearless these days. And of course it is at my own risk, I do this for fun as much as for the internet connection, and this is fun

Technologov: once i try Ingo's reg fix and feel like I have everything solid i'll run through it again with your ideas. I have to work as well and run a family so i play with this rather spasmodically. I'll mess with the reg tonight, but then i'll see if i have time tomorrow to sit down and redo your ideas and try to get them right this time.

(actually tonight my prime job is upgrading fedora to 8 on my office box. so i'll be toddling down the hill to the teaching building once the kiddies are in bed)

i'll be back in touch as things progress

thanks again guys!
as in the past, the future is in eggs
nobodie

Post by nobodie »

Hey Ingo!
I deleted the first of what I assume are the GUIDs which seemed to be determining the connection name and it did change it from LAN4 to LAN3, hehehehe. I'm not laughing that hard though, it also removed the extra potential connections as you said it would, so things are interesting.

Question: I have four of the (what i assume are GUIDs, they are labeled with a long number string) and I just deleted the first one which seemed to have the LAN connection data while the others seemed to have other network data. SHould I delete all of them?

I was thinking about deleting the first one again to see if it would increment back another notch. hmmmmm, too logical probably.
sanz

Post by sanz »

why all these trouble? I noticed on Amtium's home page that "eFlow client" supports Linux system. maybe you can get a linux version of this script from Amtium.
Ingo
Volunteer

Post by Ingo »

sanz wrote:why all these trouble? I noticed on Amtium's home page that "eFlow client" supports Linux system. maybe you can get a linux version of this script from Amtium.
That would be the ultimate solution!
Really simple, never thought of this. Thanks for the hint.
But... I've looked at www.amtium.com, I can't read chinese.
nobodie wrote:Question: I have four of the (what i assume are GUIDs, they are labeled with a long number string) and I just deleted the first one which seemed to have the LAN connection data while the others seemed to have other network data. SHould I delete all of them?
There is a GUID with (Standard)="Network Adapters". It contains GUIDs with Connection\Name="Local Area Connection <n>". Only delete that ones. You can first export the keys and then delete them. If it doesn't work you can import the saved keys and all is as it was before. Mark the ...\Control\Network hive and select file... export...
nobodie

Post by nobodie »

Hey Sanz, thanks for the lead, when I did the search on this a couple of months ago I only came up with the chinese version from Guangzhou. Just searching the company name got me the english page as well as the shanghai office (closer to me) soooo thanks. I just e-mailed them to see if they can help solve this. Hopefully they'll be back soon.

Ingo: I did the connection delete and that just incremented down one LAN (from LAN4 to LAN3), so I deleted all four numbered entries and that screwed it up, so i did a quick restore and that confused the Linux host (claimed I didn't have an eth0) so I had to do some restarting and checking the ifconfig but now it is all back to where I was and i'll delete the GUID again and see what happens.

It would be nice if amtium does have the script for linux, but i also am not holding my breath. i'll report in when things are better known.
nobodie

Post by nobodie »

all three contact emails from Amtium return as permanent failures
sanz

Post by sanz »

Well it is strange. uhm....
As a Chinese, maybe I can help you out of this trouble. If you wish, I could phone them, but I dont have much idea of the exact situation you are having over there, as I am in Nanjing. The accessing and authorization method of internet connection differs much here, from one town to another. By the way, I'm also using Ubuntu 7.10 and VB1.52 with XP.
nobodie

Post by nobodie »

Yeah, sanz, i was surprised as well. I tried to call the Shanghai office but got a message that my chinese wasn't even close to good enough to understand. They do exist and have that web presence and all that, but can't handle their email? very strange I thought.

The other thing is that they provide service for hotels, but how is it that I end up with their script here at my apartment?

Yes, things are different here, but the substrate that the differences are built on is the same, and that is what allows it to work at all. If you have any other ideas then pass them on, as i said i can still go to a private company (like netcom or china net or even telecom) and get internet. I doubt if it will be faster, but at least i could complain more.
sanz

Post by sanz »

It seems you do have language problems. Maybe you should better try your native language instead next time. I would suggest you ask some local Chinese friends for help. Normally, you will find language problems everywhere in China, no matter however professional they are. They have webpages in English because everyone has. There are plenty of translation service over there. And I guess that may be the reason you are here. At this point, I think you should stick to your ISP for service instead of Amthium co.

They provide services not only for hotels, but also all big institutions with big internal "LAN" and even for ISPs. I guess your ISP has purchased their products for network authorization and timing. I dont know which ISP in which city you are with. Here in Nanjing, I'm with TeleCom WAN at home and NetCom WAN in office, also Telecom ADSL before. For ADSL, we never have this problem, while with WAN from Telecom, I had the same problem. But I've solved that problem by a simple bash script, as it has a log-in webpage under IE which can be bypassed through "cURL" command. I would suggest you ask for at least a web page based access, if they do not provide Linux version Amthium script.

Also switching to another ISP is practical, if you can not fix the problem anyway and it is possible. Basically, in south of China, China Telecom is the main ISP, and they offer the fast connection. But NetCom is also good, or even better if you visit overseas websites more often. But I'm afraid you will have the same difficulty with services. Hope you won't have similar trouble with other ISP.
nobodie

Post by nobodie »

The deal is that I am a teacher here and get the internet service for free with the apartment. The ISP is the university and, despite having an IT department and have an IT degree program they do not have a clue about using Linux and consider me to be a guru simply because i run Linux. It is ridiculous really, but there we go.

So, going to the iSP, who have assured me a number of times that I can only use windows with their pppoe setup, is fruitless. This is one of the reasons I'm going through all this. The other reason is just the pleasure of finding a way to make this work in spite of their insistence that i must use windows. This workaround is almost there and once I get it then I'll think about getting faster service and going to another service despite the fact that this is free.

The speed issue relates to my daughter's on-line home school program which really needs some decent broadband overseas connection. We need the speed for the science demos and other stuff her school provides. But, I know that the school internet connection speed varies widely depending on time, so ..... that is another issue entirely.

So the info on the ISPs is helpful, i'll check in to netcom some more:

Thanks!
sanz

Post by sanz »

Sorry but I did not notice your location in your personal info until just now. Zhoushan is not a big town, we can not expect many professionals over there. But I really can't imagine that there is not anyone knowing Linux but IT degree program. I've never heard of any university in Zhoushan.
regarding ISP, it seems that yours is the university within China-Edu-Net, which is a separate network and has an very very limited bandwidth between public internet(WWW). I had really bad experience with Edu-Net before, particularly when I tried to visit overseas websites. I had to find proxy servers very often. And it is more reasonable that the university has bought Amtium service.
So, after you have had enough fun, I think you can just switch to any other non-free internet service. voila...
(hope this is also useful...)
nobodie

Post by nobodie »

Sanz, you have explained huge amounts of stuff that helps to fit the puzzle together. Yes Zhoushan does have the "Zhejiang Ocean University' . which is a xue yuan not a da xue, so in truth it is something we don't have a complete term for in English (college and institute are sometimes used but both refer to different things in the west usually.) . Not being Chinese I actually prefer working here because the air is really clean, there is a huge undeveloped park about 300 meteres from my apartment and I am given a lot of freedom to develop programs.

anyway, the system here can be incredibly fast, like from midnight to 8 AM, but then it is dead. OK, I'll see if i can finish this project this weekend and then move on to a better provider.

Thanks
sanz

Post by sanz »

Thanks for you explanation. Actually in China Xueyuan is always interpreted as "college".
Yes Zhoushan must have some fantastic parks. good for you. But I have the impression that water in East Ocean is not clean at all. is it? (never been there)
Wish you can find a better ISP. You'd better make it clear how you would get on line next time, before having fun. Another hint is that big ISP has more users, which means there is bigger chance of solution to Linux system worked out by Linux users. Good luck.