VirtualBox 1.5 & Windows XP -- Seamless Taskbar issue

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
juiced301

VirtualBox 1.5 & Windows XP -- Seamless Taskbar issue

Post by juiced301 »

Host: Ubuntu 7.10

The first time I used VirtualBox I was running a GNOME desktop, first run on seamless mode worked flawless. But, I installed some updates and then I started getting issues with seamless mode. (I rebooted while in seamless, and chose to power off the machine when prompted) The taskbar for Windows XP was overlapping my GNOME one, and seamless mode become all around buggy.

Today I installed the KDE desktop, and to my surprise, VirtualBox's Seamless Mode was once again running perfectly! ... and then I rebooted again after more updates, once again while in seamless.

I then started asking my friends & peers, and one then said he got this problem under the same circumstances. (powering off while in seamless)

I've un-installed VirtualBox and I've tried OSE version. Still won't reset.

Can anyone help shine some light on my situation? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks for reading,
Tim G.
jruschme
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Ubuntu, Windows XP, OpenSolaris

Post by jruschme »

I think that there are two issues at work here:

1) Seamless does not seem to get along well with Compiz (i.e., Ubuntu "Desktop Effects").

2) VirtualBox doesn't know about the Gnome panels, so it wants to put the windows taskbar in the same place as the bottom panel.
juiced301

Post by juiced301 »

I'm not using desktop effects. :(

Is there someway I can completely reset VirtualBox? I've tried uninstalling with purge, and then deleting my VM and reinstalling everything just to find it's the same.
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

My recommendation is to keep Windows taskbar in the opposite end than the Linux one. i.e. If you have KDE kicker at the bottom, put Windows taskbar at the top.