openSUSE 10.3 HIN Bridging not working

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
kcnetwkguy

openSUSE 10.3 HIN Bridging not working

Post by kcnetwkguy »

I just loaded openSUSE 10.3 and added VirtualBox as instructed here:
http://en.opensuse.org/VirtualBox

I used the VirtualBox Documentation to create the Host Interface Networking for my XP guest.

The install of VirtualBox went well and is running fine. The problem is that the br0 interface comes up with a dhcp IP address, but all I can do on either my Linux Host or my XP Guest is ping the devices and gateway on my local network. There is no DNS resolution even if I change my Host network settings to specify my local DNS servers. I finally had to delete the bridging config and go back to NAT. This creates a problem because I need to install and run Cisco VPN Client from the Guest account.

I have this configuration ( HIN and Cisco VPN ) working on my Linux Mint / XPmachine at home. The problem appears to be with the new openSUSE 10.3 software.

I was unable to use the VBoxAddIF command for whatever reason. The Host says it is an unknown command. I don't know if that relates to the HIN problem.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

Use a Filemanager to locate the Command.
kallack

Bridging

Post by kallack »

I have had to solve the identical problem on 10.2

find the config script (in /etc/sysconfig I think and make sure the bridge has a gateway. you need a line like:

GATEWAY=<IP ADDRESS>

for the exact syntax, look in the config file for eth0 and so long as its configured as static, you will find it in there.

GATEWAY is not setup automatically by SUSE

Cheers

Kevin
Kevin
kcnetwkguy

Post by kcnetwkguy »

kallack, I will put the Gateway statement in and try it. But since the br0 interface is getting it's address via DHCP that means I will need to change the gateway address if I have my laptop boot in different locations. Can I place the gateway statement in the /etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-br0 file without specifying the actual gateway address ( GATEWAY=' ' )? The IP Address statement is specified in that manner in the br0 file.
kcnetwkguy

Post by kcnetwkguy »

Kevin, the Gateway statement made no difference. Still not getting out of the local network.
kallack

My config files

Post by kallack »

Hmm!

Here are copies of my config files, I've just set up SUSE 10.3, updated it, installed VBox and have created a Suse 10.3 Guest on hostinterface vbox3 which I set up using VBoxAddIf

/etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-eth0 AND the identical file ifcfg-eth-id-00L1a:a0:1a:ed:76~ contain this (I think the second file is temporary after some crashes installing the guest - it rebooted serveral times but seems OK now.

Code: Select all

BOOTPROTO='static'
BROADCAST=''
ETHTOOL_OPTIONS=''
IPADDR='0.0.0.0'
MTU=''
NAME='Dell Ethernet controller'
NETMASK='255.255.255.0'
NETWORK=''
REMOTE_IPADDR=''
STARTMODE='auto'
UNIQUE='rBUF.01ICskUcnoF'
USERCONTROL='no'
_nm_name='bus-pci-0000:04:00.0'
and the file /etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-br0

BOOTPROTO='static'
BROADCAST='255.255.255.0'
IPADDR='192.168.3.100'
GATEWAY='192.168.3.1'
NAME='VBox BRIDGE'
NETMASK='255.255.255.0'
STARTMODE='auto'
BRIDGE='yes'
BRIDGE_PORTS='eth0'
and lastly the file /etc/vbox/interfaces - written by the VBoxAddIf command - note you have to make the folder vbox first

# This file is for registering VirtualBox permanent host networking interfaces
# and optionally adding them to network bridges on the host.
# Each line should be of the format <interface name> <user name> [<bridge>].

vbox0 root br0
vbox1 root br0
vbox2 root br0
vbox3 root br0
I hope this helps but apart from tinkering with the br0 file, everything else is out of the box. I don't however have any experience of DHCP configured bridges.

Cheers

Kevin
Kevin